kudos to ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Only way to judge the aftermarket paint for longevity is to wait for many years. I think Yogi Bera said :)

Exactly unless you can go to one of the very best shops you never know what kind of job you are going to get, frankly it is a [censored] shoot, and most of the time like when gambling, you lose. I have RARELY seen both high quality AND durable paint jobs from MOST shops.

From experience I would say if the paint blemish minor just live with it, you'd be glad you did since you'll come across many other scrapes and chips over the life of the vehicle.

I will agree there are many bad shops out there.

From experience I've always gotten great trade-in or resale value on my high-mileage vehicles, because I always got 100% of the body shop work done and refused kick-backs on unfinished work. I had to go to my insurance company on one Dodge dealer who handed me a check and a still banged-up bumper; I have no idea what they were thinking, I guess that's what their average customer preferred.

Come to think of it their color match wasn't the greatest; it didn't matter, the next fender-banger paid for that same fender to be replaced.

Well, I just had the opposite experience with Ford for a paint issue on the underside of my hood on my 2014 Mustang GT. The kicker was that the underside of my trunk lid was doing the same thing but not as bad and they warrantied the trunk lid but denied the hood. This was all at the same dealer who submitted the pictures to Ford.
Here is a picture of one of the areas of the underside of my trunk lid that was fixed under warranty.

Here is a picture of one of the areas under the hood that was denied warranty.

The dealer says that they denied warranty based upon the fact that one of the pictures he took was an area I had him take a picture of on the inside part of the front fender where the paint was messed up. Ford claims that someone spilled something on it causing the paint to be messed up and denied everything on the front of the car. The paint was messed up from day one and I didn't spill anything on the paint. Just typical Ford [censored] on them trying to get out of fixing something.
Here is a picture of the paint problem on the inner part of the fender.

Originally Posted By: wtd
Well, I just had the opposite experience with Ford for a paint issue on the underside of my hood on my 2014 Mustang GT. The kicker was that the underside of my trunk lid was doing the same thing but not as bad and they warrantied the trunk lid but denied the hood. This was all at the same dealer who submitted the pictures to Ford.
Here is a picture of one of the areas of the underside of my trunk lid that was fixed under warranty.

Here is a picture of one of the areas under the hood that was denied warranty.

The dealer says that they denied warranty based upon the fact that one of the pictures he took was an area I had him take a picture of on the inside part of the front fender where the paint was messed up. Ford claims that someone spilled something on it causing the paint to be messed up and denied everything on the front of the car. The paint was messed up from day one and I didn't spill anything on the paint. Just typical Ford [censored] on them trying to get out of fixing something.
Here is a picture of the paint problem on the inner part of the fender.

I sent you a pm

Those pis of the Mustang hood and inner fender look like they
sloppily applied the caulk style body sealer at those locations.
While it looks bad it shouldn't affect the durability or longevity of the paint itself.

I would live with this rather than have their "experts" repair it.
Most typical body shops do TERRIBLE WORK. It could end up looking worse than this or compromise the rust protection at those points.

Just a word of caution.

The Scion has a two tone paint job, the base coat is the light silver with the light blue on top.

http://www.scion.com/cars/xD2014/gallery/#image=xD_front34_sparksea

Now I know it is a cheap little car but it feels like someone didn't even bother to feather the paint between the two colors. There is an obvious ridge and the paint is coming off the A Pillar as well, looks like a stone chip.

We have a combo Ford/Scion/Toyota dealer and I wonder if it is even worth talking to them. The place is small, needs a renovation and it's service bay is more like an assembly line than anything. Constant traffic coming in & out.

This thread makes me wonder...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Those pis of the Mustang hood and inner fender look like they
sloppily applied the caulk style body sealer at those locations.
While it looks bad it shouldn't affect the durability or longevity of the paint itself.

I would live with this rather than have their "experts" repair it.
Most typical body shops do TERRIBLE WORK. It could end up looking worse than this or compromise the rust protection at those points.

Just a word of caution.

This. Take antiques advice. I've never seen decent paint and or body work. They'll likely mess up something else while fixing your problem. I'd leave it the way it is.

I'm probably going to leave it like it is for now since it's not cracking or peeling yet but if you do go to some of the Mustang forums, there are plenty of pictures of paint peeling off on the front hood as well as the trunk lid and pictures of corrosion.

I know for sure the front hood is aluminum and if aluminum is not prepped correctly for paint, it will have issues.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back