Record player needle help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I picked up an old record player for my grandmother. It's an old Mastercraft solid state suitcase player, put out by Columbia Records. It takes a B4-DS needle but I can not find one. Would anyone have a cross reference for this needle??? Thanks guy.

Look at pickupaalden.com in the Netherlands. He lists and shows a picture of a Tetrad B-4 stylus. Sapphire 78 rpm side and Diamond LP side.

http://www.needledoctor.com

I always buy mine at Radio Shack. But I have an old Realistic turntable from the early 80s (Lab 440) that uses a Shure cartridge. They used to have a HUGE catalog that had needles from old 78rpm turntables to modern ones. I'd try your local store first.

Thanks for the quick reply guys. Apparently this is an odd needle. No luck. Although I haven't been local yet. The player is at my grandmothers house. I will snag a pic when I'm there next. That is the needle number. It's printed right on the case.

Last edited:
Here's a few pics of said player for clarification.

4B141184-2BD8-4279-A50F-766B10A1EB3C.jpg

5FC592F2-257D-4E81-8809-F9BD46263B06_1.jpg

I'm guessing "DS" means Diamond/Saphire. #B4 must be the model number for the stylus. Any luck finding one?

For something like that, I'd see about removing & replacing the cart assembly (cart/styli) and replace with another of same type (fit/mount).
And for a player like that, a low cost/budget cart assembly.
Besides online shopping, I look into forums (Audiokarma) sometimes for answers. Some of them folks are deep into these kind of things.

If for some reason the player doesn't work, there are several low cost Retro players on the market, don't know about the 78 though.

wow... I paid $500+ for my last cart (decent turntable/good LPs) and just under $150 for my old vintage table (for scratchy LPs). When I was online shopping, there were loads of carts under $50, also many way more than the $500+ I paid for my better table. But something like what you have, most budget minded for that kind of player & for grandma. Most would just like to hear something & see it play. My ears are still good, and I grew appreciating my audio gear. My wife doesn't care and wouldn't touch my audio gear so she has a Retro look thing that plays records and has AM/FM radio (was given to her) and since her ears are not as good as mine, its easy for her to use and she is happy with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back