Aright all cards on the table. whats the best addi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Falken
Probably TC-W3 2T premix oil for non-DI engines only.

Just a pain to use every fill up.

For occasional use it is PEA.

Can't disagree with this.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
More fuel.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: sicko

I can...totaly useless and does nothing

Originally Posted By: RJS1971
Of all the junk our there what is the very best additive for fuel period.

That depends... what are you trying to accomplish with said additive?

Gumout All in One or Regane, Redline SI1, Amsoil PI, Techron fuel system cleaner, CRC G2P, 3M fuel system tuneup, did i miss anything? There is a lot of junk out there...

Lucas and STP have no PEA AFAIK, which makes them worthless in my eyes.

I used to work at a GM fuel injector manufacturing facility. I had a 1991 Chevy Corsica with the 2.8 or 3.1 V6 at the time (can't believe I can't remember). At 110,000 miles, it needed a new engine. I had owned it since 60k miles, maybe the previous owner never changed the oil? Who knows. Anyway, since I worked at the plant, I was able to swap out my old injectors for new ones as long as they got the old ones for inspection for learning. I looked at them myself under a high powered microscope and there wasn't enough in the way of deposits there to have any effect whatsoever. I didn't buy gas anywhere but where it was cheapest either and never used a gas additive. Another 100k plus miles of buildup still would not have had any effect.

My learning from this? Unless you're getting really [censored] gas, what could possibly need cleaning? Injectors stay pretty clean already. I do try to buy Top Tier gas these days, but that is enough for me. I keep my vehicles for many years and many miles (13 yrs and 230k miles for my last car) and have never had an issue.

Just use gas.

Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck
I used to work at a GM fuel injector manufacturing facility. I had a 1991 Chevy Corsica with the 2.8 or 3.1 V6 at the time (can't believe I can't remember). At 110,000 miles, it needed a new engine. I had owned it since 60k miles, maybe the previous owner never changed the oil? Who knows. Anyway, since I worked at the plant, I was able to swap out my old injectors for new ones as long as they got the old ones for inspection for learning. I looked at them myself under a high powered microscope and there wasn't enough in the way of deposits there to have any effect whatsoever. I didn't buy gas anywhere but where it was cheapest either and never used a gas additive. Another 100k plus miles of buildup still would not have had any effect.

My learning from this? Unless you're getting really [censored] gas, what could possibly need cleaning? Injectors stay pretty clean already. I do try to buy Top Tier gas these days, but that is enough for me. I keep my vehicles for many years and many miles (13 yrs and 230k miles for my last car) and have never had an issue.

Just use gas.

While that is a very interesting story, do you really think the injectors from 1991 are the same as they are today?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Just use gas.

While that is a very interesting story, do you really think the injectors from 1991 are the same as they are today?

The same, no. Unless direct injection, they are incredibly similar. Mostly built to more exacting tolerances, smaller, cheaper but still the same basic design. Tendency for deposits are about the same.

Just use gas.

The same, no. Unless direct injection, they are incredibly similar. Mostly built to more exacting tolerances, smaller, cheaper but still the same basic design. Tendency for deposits are about the same.

Injector deposits are one thing, but valve deposits are a completely different beast. I bought a case of Chevron Pro-Gard, which is supposed to be their product just below Techron Concentrate Plus. The label specifies that it will clean injectors, but doesn't mention quick clean up of valves.

Gumout All in One or Regane, Redline SI1, Amsoil PI, Techron fuel system cleaner, CRC G2P, 3M fuel system tuneup, did i miss anything? There is a lot of junk out there...

BG44k?

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: sicko

I can...totaly useless and does nothing

Elaborate, and provide evidence.

Last edited:

I thought I saw an MSDS for a Lucas product that showed PEA. And STP treatments could contain some PEA. It's not that hard and frankly not that expensive.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

I thought I saw an MSDS for a Lucas product that showed PEA. And STP treatments could contain some PEA. It's not that hard and frankly not that expensive.

STP makes a bunch of products, but as for STP Gas treatment, no PEA shows up in the MSDS for STP Gas Treatment. The ingredients are ...

Kerosene 80 - 100%
Petroleum naphtha, light aromatic, 1 - 5%
Proprietary additives 1 - 5%
1,2,4-Trimethyl benzene 0.5 - 1.5%
Naphthalene 0.5 - 1.5%
Ethylbenzene < 0.2%

Clearly, the STP additive that Marathon is using in their pump gas might be different from this. But, it might be the same... which is to say, mostly Kerosene.

Originally Posted By: dave5358
Originally Posted By: y_p_w

STP makes a bunch of products, but as for STP Gas treatment, no PEA shows up in the MSDS for STP Gas Treatment. The ingredients are ...

Kerosene 80 - 100%
Petroleum naphtha, light aromatic, 1 - 5%
Proprietary additives 1 - 5%
1,2,4-Trimethyl benzene 0.5 - 1.5%
Naphthalene 0.5 - 1.5%
Ethylbenzene < 0.2%

Clearly, the STP additive that Marathon is using in their pump gas might be different from this. But, it might be the same... which is to say, mostly Kerosene.

PEA isn't toxic, so it doesn't have to be listed on an MSDS.

I'm not saying STP makes great stuff, but mostly PEA isn't listed because it doesn't have to be and because most marketers consider it to be a trade secret.

My Vote-->Redline SI-1 & TCW3-->@ 1oz per 5gallons! {Techron 2 times a year}.

Just My Opinion!

The only REAL way to find out is to do your own Tests. Before and After! The only person I have seen do this is Sarge on the LS1 Forums a few years ago. {Using TCW3}.

Using a bore scope and taking off the heads and valve inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back