Michelin Pilot A/S 3's - Initial impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: y_p_w
The RE960 was actually quite acceptable in the snow.

I had them too. I did not find them acceptable in snow either, but it might have been a size and speed rating issue. Mine were 235/45/17 and W-rated. Wife had them in size 195/65/15 and H-rated, and they seemed somewhat better in snow.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I had them too. I did not find them acceptable in snow either, but it might have been a size and speed rating issue. Mine were 235/45/17 and W-rated. Wife had them in size 195/65/15 and H-rated, and they seemed somewhat better in snow.

Mine was 205/55R16 on a 2004 WRX. I did slide out taking a turn too fast a Chinquapin at Yosemite during the winter. I took out a small snow bank plowed into the side of the intersection. I mentioned that to a park ranger, and he joked that I might have to pay for damaging federal property. That is one wide intersection that seemed to be obviously designed with winter slide outs in mind. That left turn from Wawona Road into Glacier Point Road has a no-man's land where one can (more or less) safely slide out.

https://goo.gl/maps/bU073

I've also mentioned chain conditions in California. Here's an interesting photo. It features an electronic sign saying to not feed the coyotes. However, the sign is up for chains, yet the road is plowed and perfectly clear and dry.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.65249,-119.702746,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m5!1e2!3m3!1s70570433!2e1!3e10

The ONLY reason I would have gotten the RE960s (one of the few, GOOD, all seasons that was made in my size) would have been that they were actually good in the cold and snow.

Otherwise, they give up WAAAYYY too much in the dry to justify them over what I ended up with (and GLAD I did!), the BFG Super Sport all seasons.

It was still a disaster waiting to happen in snow. I'm surprised I managed to stay on the road.

Heh... it's why I don't use my Bridgestone RE970 in winter, even though they're all-season, too.
smile.gif

I don't use my 235/40r18 all-season tires in the winter either.... only 3-seasons and winter tires go on for the winter.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
just wait until winter.... hopefully you have snow tires.

aside from maybe the compound... the lack thereof serious siping makes me think it's a 3-season tire.

It is getting dedicated snows on steelies.

Originally Posted By: Michelin Man

Wonder which ones...
grin2.gif

see what I did there..

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: Michelin Man

Wonder which ones...
grin2.gif

see what I did there..

Yes, yes I did, LOL!!!

I have Michelin PSS now, and seriously considering A/S3 for next year. I use dedicated winter tire from end of november to mid-april.
However, this morning I went to buy milk, and it was 28 degrees outside. Do not have to say that PSS at that temp is like driving on the steel.
So considering that actually in Colorado Springs real summer is only in June, July and August, I am thinking to move to A/S3, since Michelin Primacy are like almost $100 more expensive per piece in Costco the A/S 3.
On other side, just looking at A/S 3, I cannot see how someone expects any kind of performance in snow. It might be good in cold weather and dry pavement, but snow? Recipe for disaster.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
I have Michelin PSS now, and seriously considering A/S3 for next year. I use dedicated winter tire from end of november to mid-april.
However, this morning I went to buy milk, and it was 28 degrees outside. Do not have to say that PSS at that temp is like driving on the steel.
So considering that actually in Colorado Springs real summer is only in June, July and August, I am thinking to move to A/S3, since Michelin Primacy are like almost $100 more expensive per piece in Costco the A/S 3.
On other side, just looking at A/S 3, I cannot see how someone expects any kind of performance in snow. It might be good in cold weather and dry pavement, but snow? Recipe for disaster.

I went to the A/S3 for the same reason, because I would have to switch to winter tires before there was any danger of snow simply because the summer tires got so bad in the cold. Then I would wear the heck out of the snows in the mean time.
This year Im leaving the A/S3s on the LX because the PI is getting Altimax Arctics and will be my dedicated winter ride. Having the A/S3s on it I can still take it out for a drive in the winter as long as it is dry. That will be nice.

Last edited:
So, these tires are NOT good on ice. I have been lazy and didn't get my snow tires on the Charger yet.... MISTAKE! I left the driveway, went around the block (sideways) and then went back in the driveway and barely made it back up.

Took the Expedition with the LTX M/S2's on it and it handled it like a boss. I watched a BMW on its summer rubber slide down one of the streets sideways and into a curb. There was a van stuck at an intersection, not able to move.

As I mentioned last year, the LTX M/S2's are REALLY good on ice. REALLY good. Better than the Blizzak's I had on the M5.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

As I mentioned last year, the LTX M/S2's are REALLY good on ice. REALLY good. Better than the Blizzak's I had on the M5.

Could it be that rubber band steam roller tires, on stiff suspension aligned for performance, don't work well in winter regardless of tread design and compound? Maybe?
wink.gif
I'd think blizzaks on the Expedition would be even better, but you seem to be doing fine without them.
I'll be jealous of the rwd fun once you get the snow tires on the Charger though...

Ordered them today! And yes, I'm betting the 275's on the back didn't help the M5, LOL! Though really it wasn't that bad, just the Expedition (which is also 2K pounds heavier) is better
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back