Wifi-modem issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here’s the issue.

My internet service provider, Cox, recently installed a new cable modem (dpc/epc 3010). Since then, I have been unable to go into wifit router login or even reinstall my router’s software (It gets to the point that it checks to see if I am hooked up and I can’t get pass that).

I’d like to change the name of my wifi network and password but cannot.

I’ve had the router for several years so free support has ended. Anyway to recognize the router or do I need to buy a new one.
The router:N600 wireless dual band Wndr3400

Your inability to connect to your routers sign in page is not directly linked to the modem. Your computer will still connect to the router regardless. Usually loss of transmission from the router will just require a power cycle.

Do you have a lot of specific settings changed from the default setting that you are worried about losing? If not, the easiest thing to do if you are going to rename the network and provide a different passcode is to just to perform a reset to default on the router. Hold the reset button down on the back for ~10 seconds. Reconfigure settings after.

If however you are worried about losing settings that you have, follow the ip address that quattro provided. If that does not work, try a power cycle.

Last edited:
Plug wifi router directly to computer using patch cable...
And try then....

Change network name, password
Setup Is / Dhcp to let say 10.0.0.1

So it has different ip then your modem...

Originally Posted By: Ndx
Plug wifi router directly to computer using patch cable...
And try then....

Change network name, password
Setup Is / Dhcp to let say 10.0.0.1

So it has different ip then your modem...
This is rather unnecessary. The Modem's IP will be different if nothing has been changed. The modem's local IP should be 192.168.100.1 with the router being 192.168.1.1 . There should be no IP conflict between router and modem unless the user changed settings.

The next thing to check would be the DNS settings as it seems he was upgraded to DOCSIS 3 from 2.

OP, have you tried to power cycle your router?

There should be a reset button on the back of the router that you can push with a pen or pencil. Try it and tell us what happens.

a new modem shouldn't change any of your router settings on the local side

this doesnt add up.

IP address conflict, both the Cable modem and router have IP addresses of 192.168.1.1

Unplug the Wifi router from cable modem. Use a network cable to connect your computer to one of the downlink ports
(not the single uplink where the Cable modem plugs in, the four ports for computer hookups).
Now try 192.168.1.1 You should be able to log in. Change the IP address of the router to 192.168.5.1.

Last edited:
Why would the cable modem be 192.168.1.1?

it's a modem? would it not have the public IP address that was assigned to the end user by the ISP's server?

the modem should be http://192.168.100.1/
or similar for the status page

The router is separating the network ..
the external part of the router is going to have the ip address of the cable modem which is assigned by the ISP and wouldnt be a private address, and the internal part should be whatever is setup in the router

typically 192.168.1.1 or similar.

looking at the manual its just a regular 1 port docsis 3 cable modem? unless I'm missing something.

I dont see that its a gateway combo device at all.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
IP address conflict, both the Cable modem and router have IP addresses of 192.168.1.1

Unplug the Wifi router from cable modem. Use a network cable to connect your computer to one of the downlink ports
(not the single uplink where the Cable modem plugs in, the four ports for computer hookups).
Now try 192.168.1.1 You should be able to log in. Change the IP address of the router to 192.168.5.1.

How much computer knowledge do you have?
maybe the cox technican reset your router?
have you done any troubleshooting plugged in or over wireless?

You can also plug computer directly into the cable modem with a ethernet cable.

then restart the modem and computer.
if you have internet its not a modem problem.

Also you can
Try unplugging the cable modem from the router and seeing if you can connect to the router from the computer (with the computer connected to the router with an ethernet cord)

you say
Quote:
My internet service provider, Cox, recently installed a new cable modem (dpc/epc 3010). Since then, I have been unable to go into wifit router login or even reinstall my router’s software (It gets to the point that it checks to see if I am hooked up and I can’t get pass that).

You typically dont have to install any software, you can just goto the router's webpage from a browser.

What Ip does your computer have? What tcp/ip settings?

Did you try resetting the router with the reset procedure? Usually holding down a button on the back of the router.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: powayroger

If you have done a factory reset:
The default IP address of Netgear routers is 192.168.0.1.
Username = admin
Password = password

Make sure you hold the reset down for the required amount of time. You can't just push and release the button.

Use a sharp object such as a pen or a paper clip to press and hold the "Restore Factory Settings" button for about 7 seconds, until the Power light begins to blink.
Release the "Restore Factory Settings" button and wait for the router to restart. The Power light will stop blinking and will become solid green (white for newer models).
The factory default settings will be restored so that you can access the router from your Web browser using the factory defaults.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zeus33
Originally Posted By: powayroger

If you have done a factory reset:
The default IP address of Netgear routers is 192.168.0.1.

Not according to WNDR3400's owner's manual.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Not according to WNDR3400's owner's manual.

I stand corrected. I didn't realize certain models were different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back