Brand New Flywheel - Toast Already

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took it in at 12:30 today and the service advisor said "that's not the sound of a bad flywheel. If it were the flywheel it would be a different noise" even though it's the EXACT same sound as before. I left it for the mechanic to look at it.

This is the video of the sound of it I took today.
http://youtu.be/C10UUnVPIZo

Originally Posted By: asand1
Lawyer time, or lemon law refund?
I'll wait for the call and see what they're gonna do. If they don't do the flywheel again it's gonna sit there until it gets done with my calls to Vokswagen corporate. I might have another VW dealer look at it and ask the mechanic what he thinks the noise is. If he says definitely flywheel then I'll tell this dealer that. I'm keeping my foot down, that's the kind of person I am with warranty type stuff.

Did they change the bolts when they re attached the motor mounts? In my travels I heard those vintage TDI's had motor mount bolts that would fail if they were not replaced after being removed.

they can fail because VW likes to use stretch bolts on various parts of the car, including the mounts & suspension.

Motor/trans/dogbone mounts are notoriously horrible in VW's... they don't last, and if the dampening fluid leaks out of the motor mount, you know it's toast..... and they should be periodically replaced.

I would also suggest second opinions on the car..
See below for possible recommendations in the Phoenix area
http://goo.gl/maps/8ZO4g

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the dealership is the only option available in a situation like this. Futhermore, the dealership is the sole interface between manufacturer and customer. To echo another poster's question - if the dealership isn't to blame for this, who is? True, they may not have caused it but they are agents for Volkswagen and as such are responsible for servicing Volkswagen's products. Sometimes, the lack of due diligence upstream of the dealership can result in the shop having to do a job over and either negotiate with the manufacturer for compensation or simply to eat the extra labor. That's the way it is.

Too have a 5 speed swapped in it would have cost nearly the same. You just needed the parts and a competent independent.

Minor, minor ecu tweak. The engine wouldn't know the difference.

Well they did replace the bolts that hold the flywheel on when I had it done. Still no word from the dealer.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Well they did replace the bolts that hold the flywheel on when I had it done. Still no word from the dealer.

It sounds like from prior experience you had good service from them. Things happen and people do make mistakes, its how they handle it when it happens thats important.
I have a feeling they will do right by you and make it good.

Did the dealer diagnose the issue or did you just go in and tell them to replace the flywheel?

If they diagnosed it, then you probably have recourse.

If you just said "replace the flywheel," then you may be SOL.

Ok I just called them up, my service advisor wasn't there today but I spoke to another guy and he spoke to the mechanic and he said "it sounds like they're going to do a warranty replacement on the part previously replaced" (this service advisor I don't think knew what was going on) so it sounds like they're gonna do it again. Sounds like it's gonna take another day or two even though it took them 8 hours to do it last time. Oh well I'm gonna call right now and ask for a loaner car

I am so sick of this dealership. Nobody can answer their phone. Finally the service advisor is back today and I spoke to him and what had happened is the bearings in the flywheel had started to go out and that was the issue. They're replacing the whole thing. Now he said it should be done tomorrow, but possibly Friday. I am so PI$$ED off. I want my car back. I'm tired of driving my grandpa's Jeep at the 12 mpg it's probably getting.

Why is it that when I contacted the dealership initially about wanting the flywheel replaced they had the part the next day and fixed the car within 7 hours? That time includes replacing an axle and servicing the transmission too. Now it takes 4-5 days? Do warranty orders get put on the back burner?

I have asked twice now about a loaner car and they say they don't have any available.

I'm 110% done with this dealer and after I get my car back I am contacting VW Customer Care and filing a complaint.

The OE flywheel may have only been a day away the first time, and now the second replacement is further out at a different distribution center. They may have paid to overnight the part the first time, and just ate the cost since the total bill on the repair was almost $2K. Or another dealer had one in stock, but now no dealers in the area have it and it must ship from a VW distribution center. I highly doubt they are trying to intentionally drag it out.

With Ford on a warranty repair the parts department can critical order a part that is not in your facing PDC and they will not be charged the freight. I am not sure what VWUSA's rule on that is. With Mazda we need special permission from the mothership and the Pope to order critical under warranty.

I am so sick of this dealership. Nobody can answer their phone. Finally the service advisor is back today and I spoke to him and what had happened is the bearings in the flywheel had started to go out and that was the issue. They're replacing the whole thing. Now he said it should be done tomorrow, but possibly Friday. I am so PI$$ED off. I want my car back. I'm tired of driving my grandpa's Jeep at the 12 mpg it's probably getting.

Why is it that when I contacted the dealership initially about wanting the flywheel replaced they had the part the next day and fixed the car within 7 hours? That time includes replacing an axle and servicing the transmission too. Now it takes 4-5 days? Do warranty orders get put on the back burner?

I have asked twice now about a loaner car and they say they don't have any available.

I'm 110% done with this dealer and after I get my car back I am contacting VW Customer Care and filing a complaint.

You had a reasonable complaint and they are fixing the car at no cost to you.
The flywheel might not be close enough to get in a day or two, you may have got one from a low in stock inventory when they did it last time.

Chances are this could end up being a 7hr charge back on the mechanic that did the job the first time (and rightfully so) if it was his mistake but he will be one one fixing it again.
If he is in the middle of a big job they are not taking him off it and put him back on this one, that would be a disaster.

No dealer has an unlimited amount of loaner cars and its not like you have nothing to dive, it just cost you a little more in gas.
They are doing right by you and you are on here busting balls telling us how you are 110% done with this dealer and filing a complaint. Now your sounding unreasonable IMHO.

Sorry to hear about your problems. Did the dealer quote 7 hour turnaround, or 7 hours of labor? If it's labor that's a big job, and typically takes more than one day on the lift.

If it was turnaround, well, stuff happens. My observation is the less often a shop does a big job, the longer it will take and the more likely there will be follow-up work. It's not a happy observation, but there it is.

The car was bought brand new at this dealer and I just spent $2,108 there. Either they screwed up or their [censored] parts screwed up. I'm jumping through hoops finding a ride, my grandfather does need a vehicle too and he has the Jeep back. I drove my aunt's 1970 VW Beetle today. A 50+ mile commute in that thing with not much of a clutch left in it and some other issues isn't my idea of being great on my part.

Reminds me of an old set of audio tapes on negotiating I listened to during commutes.

An irate customer is talking to a company president's secretary trying to get immediate satisfaction to a problem. After this goes on for awhile the secretary says, "Sir, there are only two people in this world who care about your problem, and, frankly, one of them is quickly losing interest."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back