Brand New 2012 Scag Tiger Cat ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR1

Brand New 2012 Scag Tiger Cat has been sitting for approx 2yrs?
I found a dealer that has a brand new 2012 scag tiger cat with 1.2 hrs on it.
I'm concerned about buying a mower that has been sitting since 2012.
What are your thoughts?

If it was still "in the crate", I wouldn't worry a bit. But with 1.2 hours on it, that's not the case here.

If the warranty starts the day you take delivery, and you can get a good deal on it... why not.

Hopefully, they were so sloppy as to leave some untreated gas in it for two years.

Yes...full 2 yr warranty. I will be using it in my lawn business,but I just don't want to be going to the dealer for repairs due to a mower sitting for 2 yrs. When a mower is down the customers are not happy.

Last edited:
A new 2014 is approx $7400 on sale.
This 2012 was quoted to me at $6,499.00 + tax. They say that's at dealer cost,but it isn't against the law for people to lie,esp telling me what is actual dealer cost.

it might be dealer cost but its 2 years old and was ran.

Also there is about 19 model options so its hard to tell what real cost is without a model.

Ask another dealer, I almost got a new snapper riding mower that was also sitting for a couple years. They told me they would sell it for their cost and I dropped into another snapper dealer and asked. He confirmed it was in the ball park for his cost back then, and he wouldn't come close to that on any of his current stock.

If you are in the lawn business, I assume you will need a bit of dealer good will from time to time and going for the absolute lowest price may not be worth it in the long run?

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
A new 2014 is approx $7400 on sale.
This 2012 was quoted to me at $6,499.00 + tax. They say that's at dealer cost,but it isn't against the law for people to lie,esp telling me what is actual dealer cost.

Id figure it like a car. Most new cars on the lot have maybe a 2-3% holdback and then a reasonable premium over MSRP, like a few hundred dollars. But when the car gets past its model year, that goes out the window.

1.2 hrs is hardly used, assuming it looks clean and as new, and the warranty applies from date of purchase. But id still probably only offer 80% of invoice for a two year old item.

Has the model changed appreciably/at all since 2012?

No, there hasn't been any changes or upgrades on a scag tiger cat.
I wish I knew if certain parts ,such as rubber fittings,etc will go bad after sitting 2 yrs? Also if an engine hasn't been run in 2 yrs that could be bad too? I just wish I knew.

Tell him you will give him 5K cash and clean carb out and you wanna see it running b4 u pick it up/hand over payment.....if its 2 years old he is dying to get rid of it.....other than cleaning out carb everything should be fine...just my 2 cents...

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
What about running seafoam through the engine?

Or Techron... at the proper ratio for the smaller gas tank/

Originally Posted By: DSparks
Tell him you will give him 5K cash and clean carb out and you wanna see it running b4 u pick it up/hand over payment.....if its 2 years old he is dying to get rid of it.....other than cleaning out carb everything should be fine...just my 2 cents...

Bingo. Money talks, and you can guarantee that after 2+ years, they want it gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back