Peerless/Tecumseh MST Transaxle Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little update for anyone that may need the info in the future.

I finally got the transaxle apart again and took a good hard look at all of the gears and nothing had any alignment marks on it. I still find it odd that it needs to go back together in a specific manner but there are no marks for finding the correct positions.
21.gif

I put it all back together and spun the input pulley to see if there was any binding. There was some on the first pass, so I indexed the diff gear 90 degrees with respect to the two output shafts and spun the pulley again. More resistance this time, so I indexed it another 180 degrees (90 back to my starting position and another 90 in the opposite direction to the first try) and that seemed to be the spot.

I spun the pulley so that the output axles rotated 3 times without any binding and surmised that I had found the correct spot and RTVd it back together and filled it with 80W-90 and installed it back in the tractor.

Now it will push easily in neutral and it drives smooth in all forward gears. Guess I learned something new with this project, and hopefully I can get the next one right the first time.

1 FMF - thanks for you help and patience WRT my questions.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back