2014 Toyota Tundra 4.6 OCI advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, need a little bit of OCI advice. You've probably all heard the question asked before, but I want to know what you'd do in my situation.
Just bought a brand new black Tundra 4.6 double cab. Toyota care will change the oil for free at 10k mile intervals. My drive to work is 8 in town miles and I'm an RN so I only work 3-4 days a week. The truck does get out on the highways a couple times a week on my days off or the weekends. No towing.

Would you change the FF out at 5k then follow the toyota care free schedule? Or can I really safely take this new engine to 10k on the same oil?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, agree to change the FF at 5k, then if they're going to do the changes, let them do it again at 10k, 20k etc.

Oh and congrats on the new vehicle!

Last edited:
Change it every 5k. For example, you change it at 5k, they change it at 10k, you change it at 15k, they change it at 20k.

It takes 8 quarts to fill, so that's a decent amount of oil. I would run the 10k interval.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
It takes 8 quarts to fill, so that's a decent amount of oil. I would run the 10k interval.
He bought a $33,000+ minimum dollar truck. He should be able to afford 2 jugs of synthetic at $22 each

Changing the oil in your truck at 5K intervals is simply a waste of resources. My truck takes about 2 gallons and I change every 10K miles per the factory service interval. The 'Yota 4.6L is a great engine. It will be fine.

My vote like most others goes for the 5 thousand oil & filter changes. Every other oil change do it yourself and for the free ones let the dealer do it.

With vehicles today it is good to let the dealer do the oil changes because of the TSBs, etc., that they are aware of when you bring it in.

If you don't change your own oil you can buy it and take it along to the dealer.

How long will you own this? Five years, ten, forever? If five and done I'd do 10k for sure. If not I'd still do 10k. It's not severe service, it holds eight quarts, and it's a small motor in a 5,550lb truck. It likely warms up pretty fast.

Last edited:
Change the FF @ 5k and then let them do the rest at 10k, 20k, et cetera. Once you're out of warranty, do whatever you want. I'm sure the 10k interval would be fine for as long as you'd like to own the vehicle.

Thanks for all the replies. After reading all of the responses, I think I will follow the "drain at 5k, let them at 10k and so on...."
I plan to keep the truck a while. I really like it so far and my dad has had 2 Tundras and they have both been excellent trucks.

Always good resources on this site. Thanks again!

I have a 2013 Tundra with the 4.6 that I bought new a year and a half ago. Toyota will give you two free oil changes as part of Toyota Care. I didn't wait for the 10,000 miles. I changed out my FF at about 4000 and had my second free oil change at 9000. That used up my two free changes and now I'm on my own. They rotated the tires also at the same time as the oil changes. I am currently using Mobil One 0W20 EP. Good luck with the new Tundra. It's a great truck.

Did your dealer try to talk you out of it? Or did they just willingly change the oil?

When I set up the first appointment over the phone I asked if I could have the first oil change whenever I wanted. The guy said yes, you get two. So I set up the appointment. When I arrived for it the person behind the counter said you aren't due for an oil change so we will just rotate the tires. I then explained I was told I get two oil changes that can be used whenever I want. The person said o.k. and that was it.
Side note - this Toyota dealership that serviced the truck is not the one I bought the Tundra from as that dealership is 120 miles away from me.

Last edited:
Just to give an alternate view, I am staying with the free service for 24 mo. My 2013 Tundra went back at 6 months and got the tire rotation and fluid checks. Again at 12 months for oil change, etc. I expect mileage at 24 mo. to be about 14k-15K

Mileage at 1 yr was approx. 7300 mi. During this time, I removed the skid plate to see how much work was involved. Way too much trouble. A dealer oil change costs $65. After the free service ends, I plan to have the dealer perform the oil change at 10K which will probably be around 15-18 months. I still expect the truck to outlive my driving life(I'm 72).

This is not a criticism of other views expressed. Just my humble opinion. This is an oil enthusiasts forum after all. I'll continue the 10K OIC's w/Shaffer's on the '06 Avalon until it is replaced at approx 10 years. Again, probably the last car we will buy. Toyota's have treated me well for a long time. But then, we have treated our Toyota's well too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back