TGMO too thin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps a stupid question. Trying to decide on an oil for my 14 Accord EX-L. Narrowed down to M1EP, AFE, or TGMO. All solid choices, but TGMO intrigues me. However, I wonder if it is TOO thin at operating temp or if it sacrifices any protection in the interest of FE. Again, maybe this is a stupid concern, but I'd like opinions before I choose. I plan on having this car for a long time, so I want to choose a very good oil for this car. Thanks.

Well, IDK if the TGMO is too thin per/say!
It's supposed to be really robust in it's "build" quality and the way it was engineered. I don't think that any of the new 0W20 oils are too thin. IDK if I said that right!

36.gif

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
However, I wonder if it is TOO thin at operating temp or if it sacrifices any protection in the interest of FE.

No, it's not too thin at operating temperature. It's a 20 grade, meaning it will have a minimum HT/HS viscosity of 2.6 cP and it will have a kinematic viscosity of 6.9-9.3 cSt.

Your factory fill, by the way, may have been even lighter. Rumor has it that Honda fills its engines with a 0W-16, even though it puts 0W-20 on the fill cap. Once 0W-16 becomes more prevalent on the market, I imagine that we'll see Honda move to that grade.

It doesn't matter what 20 grade you use; your engine should provide hundreds of thousands of miles of good service.

What protection might it sacrifice?

However, I wonder if it is TOO thin at operating temp or if it sacrifices any protection in the interest of FE.

I'm moving back to TGMO on the Ody after a brief flirtation with VSP. TGMO runs increadibly quiet in our Honda V6. I have a sample waiting for a UOA, but I'm going to guess it did an excellent job.

Being that you are in Illinois and you get some rather cold weather there, I would say that TGMO would be an excellent choice due to its cold-flow properties. It is going to be more viscous at lower temps than either M1 AFE or EP.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
What protection might it sacrifice?

Bloke from Ford nails it at about the 1 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4B6Aw3Ej4o

Viscosity is deemed adequate at normal operating conditions and temperatures, then it's adequate...which it certainly is, and is certainly what Honda say about their oils/designs.

If you stay on the safe side of normal, no excursions into overheat, not prolonged loads up steep inclines on your daily commute, then there's no inadequate outcomes from an adequate viscosity.

There's nothing optimal about using an extra MPG to provide increased protection for an engine that will have the car crashed or thrown away around it.

I think TGMO would be fine in any application which calls for 0w20.
OTOH, while I might try Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 in an app. that called for 5w30, I wouldn't try TGMO there.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
I would say that TGMO would be an excellent choice due to its cold-flow properties. It is going to be more viscous at lower temps than either M1 AFE or EP.

I'm guessing you just said that backwards

"less viscous"

Originally Posted By: asharris7
Yes, It's too thin. . . .

Thanks for the reply...guessing it was a joke answer, as I see you're running Sustina.

Sorry if this came off stupid, but it was a legit question. I'm truly looking for "the best" oil for this car, as it will stay in my stable for a long time. Now, I know that any 0w20 will probably go just fine in this Honda, but I'm also interested in protecting at start up and I do some short tripping, so an oil that is quicker to warm up might be just the ticket.

TGMO should be fine given that the OEM Honda 0w-20 is also quite thin and they are part of the push for 0w-16.

AFAIK, Honda doesn't call for a specific approval either.

Originally Posted By: asharris7
They don't, but only the Honda Canada is thin like tgmo

But the engines are the same, so that wouldn't bother me
smile.gif

Not at all. TGMO or MGMO would be perfect especially for the short trips and coming winter.
Use either with confidence, although the MGMO has a higher VI at 221 and slightly lower kv40 of 35.

Would the TGMO be ok to run in Chicago summer, or do you prefer something thicker? I am guessing I can run it all over, but wanted to ask a follow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back