Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil probably would have been a good choice for the 2014 Forester XT (direct injection) owner that had his GF5 Castrol Edge 5W-30 viscosity diluted with fuel down to 5.71 cSt's with 3,500 miles on the oil and 3% fuel.

Even on the uoa without high fuel, the oil ended up at 8.22 at 3,800 miles.

-Dennis

It's SL for the same reason 'German Castrol' is. Higher zinc and phosphorus concentration than permitted (800/900?) for 30wt.

banana2.gif
banana2.gif
banana2.gif
banana2.gif
banana2.gif

Scored today...5L for $28, two off max per customer.

crinkles, yeah, I know... but what can you do when the oil is US prices ???

What I should have done was go in Tuesday night, bought them at RRP, got the free Bathurst ticket, flogged it on ebay, then got the $80 store credit today, then bought two on sale...

Then I'd have 4 OCIS for the Nissan and 4 for the Statesman in the stash.

True. Magnatec for $20 or edge for $28? That is the question. What is your OCI on the Statesman?

Originally Posted By: crinkles
True. Magnatec for $20 or edge for $28? That is the question. What is your OCI on the Statesman?

That's actually a pretty good question...last 3OCIs were around 1,000km in trying to make the varnish on the rockers move/change.

have abandoned that (and the ARx that I used early on)

After a challenge, wanted to measure the oil temperature, which I did

And prompted me to use Magnatec Fuel Saver 5W30, when it was on special rather than the Chief 10W30 I had, or the Calibre 5W30 that I had previously.

Am at just over 1,500km on the magnatec fuel saver, and it hasn't suddenly darkenned like the Helix did at around 1,000km.

Might well run this oil to 10,000km, and stop playing.

Got their coffee cup on my desk, and have the multi vehicle syn ATF in the power steering on both vehicles.

Check their website, it's all "recommended for", not actual certifications, so take it all with a grain of salt.

Calibre was Caltex Oz, and the Caltex guys would give you a complete PDS...Chief is a long way removed from that.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
banana2.gif
banana2.gif
banana2.gif
banana2.gif
banana2.gif

Scored today...5L for $28, two off max per customer.

A great buy by Australian standards.
This does sound like a good oil for Euro applications, since A3/B4 form the basis for most Euro OEM certs.
This oil would certainly be fine for most Euro cars even without the certs.

I wonder if this oil is Australian specific product. In Europe (Germany, Switzerland) I do not seem to be able to find Edge 5W-30 A3/B4.

It looks like from Edge 5W-30 line we have only Castrol Edge 5W-30 ACEA C3 (low SAPS)
frown.gif

Last time I checked (2011) there were three sources of Castrol Edge 5W-30 from BP: Malaysia, USA and UK/Germany, all had slightly different specs.
A 5L bottle here normally costs NZ$86 but can be had on sale for as low as $50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back