Car cover or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only use my car on weekends.
It is in a garage, but there is no garage door so air particles, morning sun etc get to it.

Would covering it up for the week be beneficial or not?

And, would I need to wash it before covering it to avoid dust scratches?

One thing to consider is that birds or rodents will possibly peck away at it for nesting material. Anyway, that's what happened with mine, some kind of critter got to it here and there. It's still usable.

In a garage, I wouldn't worry. You'll do more damage dragging it on and off than any protection. I use a car cover sometimes,but only right after a car wash.

Not necessary, if its in a garage (door or not) its still significantly more protected from the elements then it would be outside.

Do you wax it?

Here a garage without a door is called a carport, and I think a lot of people use car covers in carports.
It'll keep dust off it, and it'll help with condensate if you live near the ocean.

You should wash the car before covering it.

There are softer fabric grades for how you're going to use a car cover. Also, I'd only use a custom-fit one. I've never really liked the one size fits many.

Wouldn't it be better to rig a curtain/screen in that situation, rather than a fitted cover?

> Wouldn't it be better to rig a curtain/screen in that situation, rather than a fitted cover?

Carports I've seen or lived with are in apt or condo complexes. You own the car, not the structure, so someone won't complain about a covered car while an altered structure I can see at least the guy next to you is going to complain he can't see any traffic while reversing, if you even got permission to alter the structure.

Fair enough. In the UK they're normally (or at least often) on the side of a semi-detached house, so I'd think, within the limits of planning permission, you could do what you wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back