My Very First Rust Spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You expect the rocker panels to be the first ones to exhibit rust but there is no trace of rust on the rocker panels on my 2006 Sierra.

I hear you about the brake lines, they do rust out badly on GM trucks. I keep mine sprayed with Krown and do expect never having to replace them because of the rustproofing. It is a lot of work replacing rusted out brake lines and best avoided if at all possible.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Its a GM truck.It was going to happen.Check any that's slightly older.

My 20 year old GMC doesnt agree.
wink.gif

I too think that it got chipped somehow and it is starting from the outside. I would remove all the bubbling paint and sand down only the rusty spot to bare metal leaving as much rust free primer possible, coat with a rust convertor, fill in the depression with the skim coat of fine fiberglass filler (not Bondo, but like a toothpaste consistency) and touch up with paint.

I've heard silver is one of the harder colors to match up. I've never seen Silverados rust in that area before. Rockers...YES. Wheel well areas... YES. Tailgate bottoms... YES., but not there.

Your efforts with Krown will help you down the road. Good luck.

I took off interior trim inside the cab.

The arrow points to the approximate location of the rust spot. It is double walled there, so I could not see the back of the metal where the rust spot is but I can see the metal about 1/2 in away and there is absolutely no sign of any rust. So as someone pointed out earlier, this rust arose from damage to the exterior paint.

I am thinking of buying this POR-15 starter kit
http://por15canada.com/super-starter-kit.html?SID=94309d6d7fcf24974f2d1f6bb43950fb
This kit has the etching primer.

Also getting this Rust Remover
http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index....Dissolver/_/N-n

I am going to use Dremel + wire wheel and the Navel Jelly to remove the rust and then apply the POR-15. Sounds like a good plan?

Originally Posted By: rjundi
The Krown potentially clogged the drains in the body panels speeding up the rust. That happened with my parents 1990 Toyota Pickup. The parts of body damaged early in life and did not have rust proofing reapplied never rotted.

how could Krown clog anything up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back