Leaving a block heater plugged in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many GM products have a thermostatic switch in the cord of the block heater. This switch will not let the block heater operate in temps above 0 F. Far to low a threshold if you ask me. I think block heaters pay for themselves by lowering fuel consumption during "warm-up".

They make 120 volt interior car warmers for us sensitive types, I wanna git me one.

I plug my diesel in before I go to bed at night, coolant temp in the morning is between 75-130F. When the truck normally takes 10 miles to warm up on a cold morning it's very nice to get useable heat within 2 miles, not to mention the truck not sounding like the pistons want to come out the side of the block. By cold morning I mean -20 to -40F. Truck will start without the heater but it is really unhappy about it.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

I've heard one claim that perhaps most vehicles (even in temperate climates) could make do with 30 wt oil and a block heater if they otherwise call for 5W-30 or 10W-30. I think they might be protected as well, but the multiweights are supposed to provide for better fuel economy.

The only problem with that is you'd have to be able to plug in again when you get to your destination. I plug in on cold nights, but if my wife takes the Jeep to work, [10 hours or more] or I take my van to work, we don't have the luxury to plug in. So I'd rather be using a 0W or 5W-xx oil vs. a 10W-30 or a straight 30 grade.

You could try a Webasto, but that might be a little OCD unless one really needed it.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
You could try a Webasto, but that might be a little OCD unless one really needed it.
wink.gif

Lol, and a little bit expensive as well!

Some block heaters have thermostats built into the cords - most of them do not allow the block heater to operate until the air temp is below zero.

Current F150's owners manuals state that the block heater achieves its maximum heating after three hours, and running it any longer is just a waste of electricity. Electrical usage is estimated at .4 to 1.0 kWh. At local electricity rates of 10 cents a kWh, plugging in the heater for three hours at maximum rates cost about 30 cents.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Some block heaters have thermostats built into the cords - most of them do not allow the block heater to operate until the air temp is below zero.

Current F150's owners manuals state that the block heater achieves its maximum heating after three hours, and running it any longer is just a waste of electricity. Electrical usage is estimated at .4 to 1.0 kWh. At local electricity rates of 10 cents a kWh, plugging in the heater for three hours at maximum rates cost about 30 cents.

Maximum heat in 3 hours.
So what I infer from that is that it takes 3 hours before the block heater has heated up all it can and the engine is ready to start.
I live in Saskatchewan so it goes without saying I'm an expert when it comes to knowing cold,and the pros and cons of using a block heater.
I plug my cars/trucks in as soon as they are shut off,and unplug them once they start. Sometimes it's days before starting one or the other.
A timer is great it you are on a set schedule,but that's not me.
As far as block heater improving warm air getting to the occupant faster that's highly engine dependent.
Some block heaters are set into the block via a frieze plug and will heat up the area very well but it's not circulating.
The best type heaters I've found are a recirculating block heater. It has a pump which circulates heater coolant thru the engine and yes the heat will blow almost instantly. For 60 bucks I can get a 1500 watt type that starts the engine immediately.
My charger is strange. With the block heater plugged in not only does it warm the block but the oil and coolant are also heated and via the EVIC system at -35c my oil temps were 15c,coolant was higher at 60c.
So on that vehicle it's covering all the bases with its system.
My trucks and vans on the other hand aren't as sophisticated so I plumb in a recirculating type.
I leave them plugged in for weeks on end in the winter and last year because I almost never drove my truck it was plugged in pretty much the entire season.
So leave it plugged in if you like. It's not hurting anything.

That's exactly it. Sometimes, I have to leave on a moment's notice, so being able to plan to plug in 3 or 4 hours in advance is a luxury. None of us like to waste money, but when it's -40 out, one's block heater isn't going to be the one that makes one's utility bills go through the roof.
wink.gif

True, compared to the Gas bill (or firewood, or whatever) it may seem like a drop in the bucket. But I know I don't have a limitless supply to fill the bucket, so you do what you can. In my case, on a timer for about 2-3 hours before departure. Otherwise, it gets what it gets. Lord knows the money I save there ends up in the gas bill...

Oh, absolutely. If I'm using my G37 for the week, the F-150 doesn't get plugged in. That's common sense. But if we've got a bunch of snow and I'm going to be relying on it and I'm not on a set schedule, the F-150 will spend a significant amount of time plugged in.

I have to say: I wouldn't plug in a modern engine until it got REALLY cold...like, -25 or colder. Even my old-school 12-valve Cummins started at -12 with no heater. Oil was regular 15W-40, truck has no starting aids.

At -14, my Cherokee (with 200K on it) fired instantly at the first turn of the key.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I have to say: I wouldn't plug in a modern engine until it got REALLY cold...like, -25 or colder. Even my old-school 12-valve Cummins started at -12 with no heater. Oil was regular 15W-40, truck has no starting aids.

At -14, my Cherokee (with 200K on it) fired instantly at the first turn of the key.

My 5.4 fired at -42f without heat with 15w40 in the sump. Anything under -10 I try to plug it in to make it easier on it.

Last year the apartment I lived in had no external outlets. I had 5w40 in the sump the whole winter with no issues.

Now with my own house (And before I lived in that apartment) I prefer to use the block heater with anything below -10. I live right next to my parents and my step dad leaves about 2 hours before I do. He plugs it in when he leaves. Before that I would plug in when I got home.

No issues with plugging in that early besides electricity waste,

Cummins recommends plugging in below 0*F. Yes, they will start in much colder weather, but this is a long term recommendation to save unnecessary wear and tear over the long haul. They use a 750W freeze plug element, it has always done well for me down to -25F which is the coldest I've ever had my truck in. It does not circulate the coolant but it does warm everything up through convection, it even blows warmish coolant depending on how cold it is. Once it gets cold enough, it doesn't do anything for the oil but today's oils are much better than the oils that fed my first diesels so it's not a big deal at least where I live. The important thing is the block and cylinders are warmed, which is where the major wear takes place in a cold engine because the pistons will warm quickly and expand from combustion and the cylinders will remain cold much longer because the coolant will draw the heat away until it is warmed up. Decreased tolerances = increased wear.

The FrostHeater in the wifes VW TDI on the other hand is a beast. 1000 watt heater in a 1.9 liter engine with a coolant capacity of roughly 1.5 gallons... on say a 15 degree day the hoses are HOT to the touch. It's a great system and definitely outperforms the block heater in my truck (as it should)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back