2014 HD Recall #0159

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received notice today. "Certain model year 2014 Touring motorcycles.(all touring models) Hydraulic clutch system may develop a tear in the primary seal on the master cyl piston. Could cause bike to "creep" forward from a stop possibly causing a crash.

96% japanese/ china made product but assembled here in america as always

Good luck on any warranty repairs

H.Davidson is cutting cost left and right. We used to build a OEM product for them. They kept wanting a lesser price...

Eventually, we had to drop the contract. We were literally building that assembly "at cost". We had a GREAT relationship with Harley, but still they wanted a lesser price, meanwhile our cost was going up. SCREW THEM!

The line was shipped out two years ago. They don't support American business. It's all about outward image, and maintaining gross profits for the shareholders...

Last edited:
This is not a new concept. Just about every mfgr that makes some form of motorized vehicle, is always looking for cheaper parts. Seems nowadays recalls are a normal way of doing business.20 or 30 years ago it was unusual to have a recall, now it's an every day thing. GM just had a big ignition switch recall that covered multiple year models. Profit over product safety is what drives just about all the vehicle makers today.,,

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
H.Davidson is cutting cost left and right. We used to build a OEM product for them. They kept wanting a lesser price...

Eventually, we had to drop the contract. We were literally building that assembly "at cost". We had a GREAT relationship with Harley, but still they wanted a lesser price, meanwhile our cost was going up. SCREW THEM!

The line was shipped out two years ago. They don't support American business. It's all about outward image, and maintaining gross profits for the shareholders...

Believe me, they are not the only ones doing that, its even in the OEM aviation business. This will go too far and corporate America will wonder what happened.

And yet the price of their bikes keeps going up...go figure...

Originally Posted By: grampi

Which bikes have gone down in price?

Originally Posted By: dr2152
Originally Posted By: grampi

Which bikes have gone down in price?

I doubt any of them have, I was simply making a point that while manufacturers are always looking for cost cutting measures, they never pass any savings along to the consumer...it always goes in the CEO's pocket...

A Harley with a mechanical problem.? I don't believe it. Must have been caused by one of them their foreign made parts. [censored] fuzzy little foreigners!!! ROFLMAO!!!

WOW....A vehicle manufacturer issuing a recall! I haven't heard of anything like this happening in years.

I am very frustrated with this kind of behavior too. I lost my job with a parts supplier (Valeo) due to free trade with Mexico, and I feel that I was lucky because I could pretty much find a job anywhere due to my trade skill. GM, H-D, etc. tell the supplier what they will pay, and that's it. If they can't make it for that price, then too bad. It's a very sad state to be in. In the long run, who is going to buy their products when no one is making any money?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
I lost my job with a parts supplier (Valeo) due to free trade with Mexico, and I feel that I was lucky because I could pretty much find a job anywhere due to my trade skill.

what?

no way!

you mean big ears Ross Perot was right?

dang!

It would be interesting to know the profit margin between the high end bikes (Harley, Indian, BMW, Ducati)to see if it's justified to save a dollar here and there on cheaper made parts that may not have the best quality.

Harleys are very good well made bikes, IMO they shouldn't cut out an American supplier to save a few bucks buying foreign made.

BTW I have no clue if Harley uses much foreign made, so.....?

The world is broken. Fallen. Imperfect. Once I came to embrace that, stuff like this became easier to endure.

No machine is perfect.

On my Ducati, the fuel gauge is [censored] but I just figure range off the trip odometer vs. what I've come to know about the fuel economy it gets.

I am not Harley bashing here, but I have noticed my friends and family with the newer ones (last 3 or 4 model years) have had a lot of issues with the primaries and transmissions as far as bearings failing at low mileage. I think Harley has maybe crossed a line on some components from using inexpensive parts to cheap parts.

Robenstein said:
I am not Harley bashing here, but I have noticed my friends and family with the newer ones (last 3 or 4 model years) have had a lot of issues with the primaries and transmissions as far as bearings failing at low mileage. I think Harley has maybe crossed a line on some components from using inexpensive parts to cheap parts. [/quote
Really ? What models is that ?
Jake

Originally Posted By: buckeyejake
Robenstein said:
I am not Harley bashing here, but I have noticed my friends and family with the newer ones (last 3 or 4 model years) have had a lot of issues with the primaries and transmissions as far as bearings failing at low mileage. I think Harley has maybe crossed a line on some components from using inexpensive parts to cheap parts. [/quote
Really ? What models is that ?
Jake

All of them. HD sure isn't what it used to be. My retired uncle has always been a die hard HD fan. Bought a new Ultra Limited to do some touring and the bike left him stranded 3 times over the course of 2 summers far away from home. He traded it in with less than 6k miles on a Gold Wing nd has never been happier.

They were touring models and a trike. All of them had under 20k when they had to get fixed. One of them after getting it fixed immediately traded it in on a new Triumph Thunderbird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back