PQIA posts seven more 5W-30s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
PQIA has done 10W-30s and straight 30s.

I'm just being difficult, Tom.
wink.gif
The PQIA's mandate is to deal with the most common oils and to check certification, and I'm quite happy with what they do. 20w-20 would be massively out of that mandate.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I'm just being difficult, Tom.
wink.gif
The PQIA's mandate is to deal with the most common oils and to check certification, and I'm quite happy with what they do. 20w-20 would be massively out of that mandate.

Yeah I knew you were just having fun. You are correct - PQIA’s mission is to serve consumers by testing and publically reporting on the quality and integrity of lubricants in the marketplace, which means focusing on the most popular grades while trying to test all available brands across the country. Contrary to popular belief, they do not exist to provide free VOAs to BITOGERs.
grin2.gif

Tom

Contrary to popular belief, they do not exist to provide free VOAs to BITOGERs.
grin2.gif
Tom

Hi Tom,

We all love the VOAs that the "other Tom" at PQIA provides on an ever increasing selection of motor oils due to their accuracy and more comprehensive list of test parameters. It would be great if we could use the same lab that PQIA uses for some of our fav' oils? Any idea what that would cost for BITOG members?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Contrary to popular belief, they do not exist to provide free VOAs to BITOGERs.
grin2.gif
Tom

Hi Tom,

We all love the VOAs that the "other Tom" at PQIA provides on an ever increasing selection of motor oils due to their accuracy and more comprehensive list of test parameters. It would be great if we could use the same lab that PQIA uses for some of our fav' oils? Any idea what that would cost for BITOG members?

Hi Peter,

I'm not sure Tom wants those figures made public, but I can say it would cost you several hundred dollars per sample for the PQIA set of analyses, plus the cost of rechecks for off-spec and borderline results.

Tom

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
More specifically, why no 10w30s?

Or monogrades, or 20w-20s, right?
wink.gif

PQIA has done 10W-30s and straight 30s.

Focus is placed on the largest selling grades, and often presented in grade themes, e.g. a set of 5W-30s or a set of 5W-20s. Less common grades will have their turn again.

Tom NJ

Yeah must have missed it. Aside from the 5w30 conventional/ synthetic drop down boxes and whatever else is on the front page, I dont know too much more about their site.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
I would love to to see a bit better organization and/or easier way of viewing oil comparisons on the website.

The PQIA site used to have a very useful Flash-based tool that would let you compare any 2 oils in their database. It went away sometime last year and I don't know what happened to it. I loved it and wish it came back.

NOACK tests are hard to "prop up" other tests like pour points and viscosity index can be easily altered by adding cheap pour point depressants + lots of fragile VII. a better HT-HS spec should go along with a higher VI, the HT-HS is another hard test to "prop up"

The 5 quart jugs of National (Pinnacle) conventional are on closeout at the Menard's near me for $7.99. I bought 3 jugs of 5w-20 last fall as that was the rebate limit at that time.

It's my current favorite conventional oil - high VI, tri-nuclear moly, etc. at a bargain price. Pinnacle blends & bottles the Marathon brand motor oil as well.

http://www.pinnacleoil.com/pdf/salesinfo/Sell_Sheet_Premium.pdf

My wife uses their 5w-20 synthetic blend in her 2011 V6 Mustang for 7-8k miles OCI's. I've been using their synthetic blend & conventional in my 2012 5.7L V8 Ram for 3k OCI's.

http://www.pinnacleoil.com/pdf/salesinfo/Synthetic-Blend.pdf

Anyone else use this stuff?

Last edited:
Nyoggtha welcome to BITOG!

I agree the National (Pinnacle) appears to be a fine motor oil.
The 5W-30 must be synthetic (don't know why they don't claim it to be) with it's very low CCS of only 4152cP and as you mentioned it's 165 VI. As for the moly content, it may be the tri-nuclear variety but 42 ppm isn't a lot.

I worked with producing high quality basestocks & process oils from heavy naphthenic crude stocks followed by hydroprocessing (but not hydrocracking) back when I was younger and lived a lot further south. I don't think it's impossible to obtain a conventional oil like Pinnacle (& Marathon) PQIA tests show without Group III, IV, or V base stocks.

I ran the calcs: 42 ppm Mo atoms = 135 ppm trinuclear moly molecules of the formula shown on the Pinnacle data sheets.

Slide 9 of the Infineum presentation I've seen on-line shows the effects of 75 ppm trinuclear moly vs. 200 ppm trinuclear moly in the Infineum presentation.

http://www.infineum.com/Documents/Crankc...logy%202009.pdf

Infineum is using a shorthand method using the term Mo trimer to mean trinuclear moly molecules. It's not too hard to eyeball interpolate a curve for 135 ppm or so trinuclear moly in between those curves, but I concede that's not direct data. I reckon someone came up with 135 ppm or so trinuclear moly as some optimum range for bang for the buck, but that's just an educated guess.

For reference, one ppm of trinuclear moly = 1.8 ppm MoS2 just based on molecular weights given, but this doesn't mean this translates 1:1 on wear reduction.

For reference, one ppm of trinuclear moly = 5.8 ppm MoS2 just based on molecular structure given for the trinuclear moly in the Pinnacle product sales sheet, but this doesn't mean this translates 1:1 on wear reduction

I mistyped in my prior post and didn't catch it in time to edit / correct so I corrected this above in red, and clarified my calculation basis in red as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back