NAPA Platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 10 dollar off coupon, which would make this filter about 3 dollars. For my 14 accord, is this a decent filter?

I'm planning to use a Napa Platinum when I do my oil change this weekend. It's a very solid filter and similar, if not the same as the WIX XP oil filter. Thick canister, full synthetic media and silicone ADBV. Some members here will steer you away from it as the Platinum's efficiency is 99% at 35 microns (80% at 20?) and will recommend the Napa Gold (or Fram Ultra)

I ran one for 2 OCIs (11K total) on my Elantra and it looked fine when I cut it open.
It was very hard to cut due to the strength of the can.

Originally Posted By: MNL
I'm planning to use a Napa Platinum when I do my oil change this weekend. It's a very solid filter and similar, if not the same as the WIX XP oil filter. Thick canister, full synthetic media and silicone ADBV. Some members here will steer you away from it as the Platinum's efficiency is 99% at 35 microns (80% at 20?) and will recommend the Napa Gold (or Fram Ultra)

The Wix XP/Napa Plat beta ratios show a 50% @ 20 micron rating, but not much worse than the Honda OEM filters, which i believe are
If you take the efficiency out of the picture, the filter looks great upon every dissection and construction appears top notch.

I would be one of those to steer you into the Fram Ultra which is 99%+ @ 20 microns, and 80% @ 5 microns, the best posted figures of any company i have seen. Amsoil comes close with 98.7% @ 20 microns, but no 5 micron figure posted and price and availability are an issue.

There are WAY better synthetics out there... at least if you go on published specs (what else can you do?) The Fram Ultra is better. The Royal Purple is better. The Purolator Synthetic (gasp!) is better.

If that spec is in error, then Wix needs to fix the spec before I invest in a filter that's rated 90% @ 35 microns / 50% at 20 microns when everyone else is in the high 90%'s at 20-25 microns.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
So am I better off with the gold?

In terms of filtering efficiency, yes. NAPA Golds are typically around 95% @ 20 microns. The Platinum is 50% @ 20 microns.

The gold filters better but the media doesn't last as long as the synthetic Platinum media. If you're running normal service intervals use the gold. If you want to push it 10-15k, the Platinum will handle it better.

Also synthetic media doesn't break down with age. You can store a vehicle with all synthetic media filter nearly indefinitely. A big advantage for low mileage vehicles.

Hmm...interesting. Not sure how long the MM will take me out. At 7.5k, the gold seems like the better choice?!?

The point of a filter is to filter. The Napa Platinum has poor filtering abilities, sure its built well but what does that even mean if its not filtering wear causing contaminants. Skip the Platinum and go for the Ultra.

Originally Posted By: asharris7
How much wear is it causing? ^^Nobody knows

If someone doesn't think a filter that is almost twice as efficient isn't helping out, then use the cheapest filter you can find that won't disintegrate over the OCI.

Personally, I like to use high efficiency oil filters ... it can't hurt to filter better than not IMO, so why not.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
NAPA Platinum is the best filter on the market.

Whoa ... based on what?
confused.gif

I have Napa Platinum, Fram Ultra, and Puro synthetics all in my stash. I'm not worried about using any of them. The only thing I worry about with ANY oil filter is them going into bypass mode and not filtering ANY of the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back