Predator in place of Briggs I/C 10 HP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Well, the Briggs dealer I had look at it was pretty useless, said I had a rusted out carb (?),

The carbs are aluminum.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Well, the Briggs dealer I had look at it was pretty useless, said I had a rusted out carb (?),

The carbs are aluminum.
33.gif

The aluminum carbs are fairly recent. The real old ones are cast iron, same as the engine. I have a 2hp one back in the shop somewhere from the late 40's. Later ones were zinc alloy. Pretty bad alloy. E10 will dissolve it over time.

Wayne

The B&S I/C labeled 10HP engine should be an iron sleeved cylinder in an aluminum block. I used to run one in an old Cub Cadet.

I/C's were replaced by the OHV Vanguard, which was replaced by the Vanguard Professional Series or just Professional. They are better engines than an Intek but share the same general design. More forged parts and ball bearings instead of plain bearings are what make them better.

Originally Posted By: 65f100
I would like to get one of the new production 16 hp cast iron engines. Is there anyplace to order one online?

Originally Posted By: wag123
B&S still manufactures a 10 hp cast iron block L-Head engine.
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/sea/en/engines/cast-iron-engines/ic-cast-iron-10-hp
You don't EVEN want to know how much it is
smile.gif

They also manufacture a 16 hp version. They have been making these engines like forever!
You have to order them from overseas. They can't sell them here because they don't meet EPA emissions standards.

Just e-mail one of the dealers in the dealer locator area of the link. You should be able to buy one with a credit card and have it shipped here. I warn you, it will be expensive!
These B&S cast iron engines are still in widespread use around the world, primarily in marine applications (winches, pumps, generators, large diesel engine starters, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back