Who's tuning up their snowblower yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
Last spring I Sta-Bil'd the remaining gas, greased and put a little MMO in the spark plug hole and pulled the B&S engine over a few times before putting it in a corner at the back of the garage. The 28" Ariens should be good to go in November or December.

Oil was changed towards the end of last season ... switched from "whatever" oil I used because I had on hand while the machine was breaking-in to Yeti Blood ... Chevron 0W-30. I won't change that out for at least 25 hours (maybe all of this coming winter).

I DID just get a new spark plug for the B&S engine ... a NGK BKR5E ... that's their V-Power plug. Hoping it will give a touch more power than the Champion Q12YC it will replace.

I'd like to add rubber shims to the auger but would really like to do it right with bolts and nuts, not just sheet metal screws. That means taking the impeller out/off. THAT looks like a project! I also haven't been able to find material for the shims yet.

You don't have to take the impeller out. I used bolts on mine and drilled the holes for the rubber paddles while the impeller was still in the machine. You do have to remove the chute to gain access through the top, and block the impeller with a piece of wood to prevent it from moving.

Yeye, it won't snow until late november but the old Stiga/Bolens is good to go. Thinking of putting a fuel shut off valve on it but for now the float seem to work and all is tight. Rubber impeller mod in place, shute painted with teflon paint. 22 celsius today though so more BBQ than snow.

Just changed the oil in my snow blower today. I've started it up a few times over the course of the summer, just so I know it'll be ready to go when the snow flies.

I learned my lesson last year when I stored it with untreated gas and it wouldn't keep running when I needed it.

Ha, I think mine still has the original oil in it and it's three years old. Maybe I should change it. I found a new bottle of 5w30 M1 on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Ha, I think mine still has the original oil in it and it's three years old. Maybe I should change it. I found a new bottle of 5w30 M1 on the shelf.

Yeah probably a good idea. Most manufacturers recommend changing the original oil after a few hours of run time to get all the break-in metal particles out.

I have a Toro 38584, got the last of the 2 strokers.
banana2.gif

I decided to get it after a Christmas blizzard and decided I am too old for that. LOL
After several seasons and many driveways, the paddles and scrapper bar wore out.
So I ordered new paddles, bar, plug and fuel filter. It took a few hours for me a rookie to change it all. Now she is ready for Old Man Winter. I do need to test fire it.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
banana2.gif

I decided to get it after a Christmas blizzard and decided I am too old for that. LOL
After several seasons and many driveways, the paddles and scrapper bar wore out.
So I ordered new paddles, bar, plug and fuel filter. It took a few hours for me a rookie to change it all. Now she is ready for Old Man Winter. I do need to test fire it.

I have a Toro Powerlite 2 stroke. I forget what model it is exactly but I love that little bugger. It works great for the sidewalks and the deck. The first time I used it in the snow I was amazed how far it threw the snow for such a small machine.

I spent 8 hours of welding to get prepared for the Winter.
- My tractor got a new floor in the bucket now.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
banana2.gif

I have a Toro Powerlite 2 stroke. I forget what model it is exactly but I love that little bugger. It works great for the sidewalks and the deck. The first time I used it in the snow I was amazed how far it threw the snow for such a small machine.

yeah, the thing just flings the snow. I have a video of that but cant post it yet being a noob.
frown.gif

I don't have to touch my 28" Crassman because I store it with no gas in it and only run Ethanol-free fuel in it anyway. It's almost a decade old and FluidFilm has kept all the bright metal still shiny-new.

Also I just put a new carb on it last year (not a gas problem, the original carb was never "right"), and I cleaned up the storage space so I can still get to it, subject to a minor amount of tire inflation and equipment shuffling.

Pulled the old Noma 24/8 with Tecumseh engine out of the shed today. Stored it with a dry tank and carb. Put some gas in, started first pull. Let it warm up and changed the oil.

The secret to this little Tecumseh engine going from a dog to a purring cat was to NEVER use a Champion RJ19LM spark plug again. The engine was brutal to start with the Champion plug (and yes that included a brand new one, properly gapped). As soon as I replaced it with an NGK BR2LM, it has started on first pull, gets better fuel economy and runs so much smoother.

Originally Posted By: Audioquest
The secret to this little Tecumseh engine going from a dog to a purring cat was to NEVER use a Champion RJ19LM spark plug again.

What engine does it have? Maybe that's the problem with mine.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Originally Posted By: Audioquest
The secret to this little Tecumseh engine going from a dog to a purring cat was to NEVER use a Champion RJ19LM spark plug again.

What engine does it have? Maybe that's the problem with mine.

8HP, I believe the HMS series. No matter what engine you have, try yanking that Champion and replacing with an NGK.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
"Over 6,000 posts... about 30 of them good ones"
coffee2.gif

Papa Bear, make that 31 good ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back