Toyota to recall 690,000 Tacomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/29/us-toyota-recall-idUSKCN0HO1T520140929

or

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/29/toyota-recalls-690k-tacoma-truck-rusty-leaf-springs-fire-risk/

Quote:
(Reuters) - Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc, a unit of Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T), said it would recall about 690,000 Tacoma 4X4 and Tacoma pre-runner pickup trucks to fix issues with the vehicles' rear suspension system.

"The involved vehicles' rear suspension system contains leaf springs that are constructed of either three or four leaves. There is a possibility that a leaf could fracture due to stress and corrosion," Toyota said in a statement on Monday.

If the vehicle continues to be used, it could lead to the broken leaf coming in contact with surrounding components, including the fuel tank and causing a leak, the company said.

"In the presence of an ignition source, this could result in a fire," the car maker said.

Toyota said it was not aware of any injuries due to this.

The vehicles belong to model years 2005-2011, the company said.

Probably posted already, didnt see it.
imagine that something rusty on a yota :p
few of my friends have tacos and they love them, ill have to see how their leafs are holding up.

It's about time IMO.

I personally know several people who have had to replace leaf springs themselves and at their own cost due to a having one or more cracked / split.

Toyota has to have known about this for some time now. Shame it took this long for them to admit it

GM never recalled all those 70s Novas and Camaros that suffered cracked leaf springs...

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
GM never recalled all those 70s Novas and Camaros that suffered cracked leaf springs...

40 years ago? Really?

Originally Posted By: NHGUY

This is pretty silly.

For a few years now Toyota has been fixing these on a TSB basis while under warranty. This subject has been discussed ad-nauseum at TacomaWorld Forum for years. Now everyone can have it done in or out of warranty. My truck is not affected as it is not a PreRunner or 4x4. IMO this should have been done about 5 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back