2007-08 Infiniti G35x

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a lot for work and am looking for a new (to me) all wheel drive vehicle. Right now, I am considering the 07-08 G35x sedan - probably with 50-70k miles. I'm looking for something fun to drive with reasonable maintenance costs. Anyone have any long term experience with these? Anything to look out for? Also considering the FX35. I will be doing most basic maintenance (fluids/brakes) myself.

Last edited:
We (my wife) have owned or leased a few Infiniti; EX35, M35 and M37 Sport. I must say, these are wondeful automobiles. Never had any mechanical or otherwise significant issues. That VQ engine is tough, and although some say its also tough on oil, it is durable, reliable and comes with a sonorous exhaust and intake note. If I had a choice, the FX would be it. Good look and post pics when you decide.

I love Infinitis and I love the VQ35, but the MPGs aren't super hot...not an issue if work reimburses you. My VQ35 is oriented the opposite direction, but I've found it very easy to work on.

There are quite a few very high mileage VQ35s out there, G35s with 300k+ miles. Wonderful engines!

Planning on driving it in a Michigan winter? Good Luck!

I've driven my uncle's G35 coupe often times, not a bad little ride. But in anything other than dry weather, you're done for. It gets stuck in light mud, forget about driving in the snow no matter how light. And, thats with brand new Michelin's. He didn't bother to buy snow tires though as he doesn't drive it during the winter since it's god awful.

It's been fairly reliably, issues with calipers and the radio are something he's encountered that I can think of off the top of my head.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
Planning on driving it in a Michigan winter? Good Luck!

I've driven my uncle's G35 coupe often times, not a bad little ride. But in anything other than dry weather, you're done for. It gets stuck in light mud, forget about driving in the snow no matter how light. And, thats with brand new Michelin's. He didn't bother to buy snow tires though as he doesn't drive it during the winter since it's god awful.

It's been fairly reliably, issues with calipers and the radio are something he's encountered that I can think of off the top of my head.

It would be just fine with actual snow tires. The X model would be even better, but I have full confidence in a rwd G with appropriate tires for the season.

I have a RWD G35 and AWD FX45. They have both been great vehicles. The G has about 155k miles, the FX about 115k. They both get poor gas mileage, but the 3.5 has the power of V8's from not that many years ago.

If I were buying today, I might hold out for the G37x or FX37. They are a little stronger and get a little bit better mileage.

The FX is sporty for what it is, certainly more so than any other CUV I tested other than the Cayenne, but the G is much more fun.

The FX is much more comfortable in the back.

I have an EX35, 2010. Living in Ottawa I know winter, and I know cold. Infiniti's AWD is rear drive biaised, and is the best of both worlds: fun of RWD with the security of AWD. I have driven in the worst of storms and no problem. Of course I have winter tyres on.

Have fun with an infiniti. Drives al,L&T lie a BMW but why more reliable. .

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Considered a Suburu?

It's funny you ask as I was originally ONLY considering Subarus. My father's WRX made me fall in love with Subarus. He isn't easy on it by any means and it has given him a trouble free 170k miles/12 years. I also do a lot of the maintenance on it and it is relatively easy to work on.

After looking at the prices of used Subarus, especially lower mileage turbo/6 cylinder ones, I thought I would check a few other options. Subarus are not off the list, but I am leaning towards a G35.

Thanks for the input everyone. I get reimbursed for gas so mileage isn't too important. Also, the 7-speed auto looks like a PITA to change the ATF on. I am only considering the all wheel drive models and will for sure be installing snow tires.

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
Have you also considered an Acura TL SH-AWD? Another nice vehicle in AWD...

Yes I have, although the prices are higher than I'd like to spend for the mileage I'm looking for (around 50-70k).

Well, I finally found one that I liked! Picked it up today. 2007 G35x - 45k miles, nav (with live traffic), XM, bluetooth, xenon headlights, sunroof, etc. Basically the only things missing are: sports package, active cruise, Bose "upgraded audio" and rear view camera - none of which I'm all that concerned about.

I was having a tough time finding one I liked. I bought this while visiting family in Chicago. I'm looking forward to driving it back to Michigan! So far it has been a lot of fun.

UcrGRXE.jpg

This is probably the time to ask for oil recommendations for this VQ35HR! It appears to have gotten a fresh oil/filter change so I will run this for a while. Guessing bulk oil and it appears to have a white valvoline filter. I will also be shopping snow tires. I enjoyed the Continental ExtremeWinterContact on my 3-series.

Originally Posted By: cutlassvillager
Well, I finally found one that I liked! Picked it up today. 2007 G35x - 45k miles, nav (with live traffic), XM, bluetooth, xenon headlights, sunroof, etc. Basically the only things missing are: sports package, active cruise, Bose "upgraded audio" and rear view camera - none of which I'm all that concerned about.

I was having a tough time finding one I liked. I bought this while visiting family in Chicago. I'm looking forward to driving it back to Michigan! So far it has been a lot of fun.

UcrGRXE.jpg

This is probably the time to ask for oil recommendations for this VQ35HR! It appears to have gotten a fresh oil/filter change so I will run this for a while. Guessing bulk oil and it appears to have a white valvoline filter. I will also be shopping snow tires. I enjoyed the Continental ExtremeWinterContact on my 3-series.

cheers3.gif

M1 0w40 has been the best so far at keeping consumption in check. With only 26K it used a little oil and was louder, it is like a different engine on 0w40.
Check out UOA's on 0w40 used in these engines. This is a 0w40 rated engine anyway.

VQ35HR Motor
Jahr 2007-2009
Mobil 1 New Life 0W-40
Anwendung Empfehlung Kapazität (l)
Motor (B) 1. Wahl Mobil 1 New Life 0W-40 (d) 4.9

Originally Posted By: Trav
M1 0w40 has been the best so far at keeping consumption in check. With only 26K it used a little oil and was louder, it is like a different engine on 0w40.
Check out UOA's on 0w40 used in these engines. This is a 0w40 rated engine anyway.

VQ35HR Motor
Jahr 2007-2009
Mobil 1 New Life 0W-40
Anwendung Empfehlung Kapazität (l)
Motor (B) 1. Wahl Mobil 1 New Life 0W-40 (d) 4.9

Thanks, I will start with M1 0w-40 after a couple thousand miles on this current OCI. That will make things easy between this and my E36. I almost forgot about the obligatory BITOG oil fill hole picture. It looks like I am at a good starting point. Anyone know why these engines are supposedly hard on oil?

jBfsUDb.jpg

Originally Posted By: cutlassvillager
Anyone know why these engines are supposedly hard on oil?

No idea but they really do seem to do a hatchet job on the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back