Winter storage advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new to me 2013 Mustang GT that I am going to put in storage for the winter and I am looking for advice on what is the best thing to add to the fuel for the cars long winter nap?

From my experience on this forum, I expect you'll get a lot of votes for marine Sta-Bil. I've been using it in my OPE along with ethanol-free fuel on this recommendation, and haven't had any issues with spring starting yet.

I would see if you can find some E0 gas. Its around if you look for it. Typically premium.

Marine StaBil would be fine also. But the degradation of gas is a chemical reaction which is greatly slowed down in cold weather.

A battery maintainer might be good.

Ethanol free gas for sure. If your tank is steel then fill it up, plastic does not matter if its full. Stabil in the gas and a tender or take battery out

I add Stabil to a full tank when I store our cars for the winter. I also make sure to drive the car long enough to burn off any condensation/gas/etc. in the oil before parking it. I also like to make sure the oil in the sump is fairly fresh. There are other things I do as well, but that might be going off-topic a bit as you just asked what to do about the gas.
smile.gif
Good luck!

E0 gas with a full tank and a shot of Sta-Bil. Take a drive with the stabilizer in the fuel before you store it so it gets into the fuel system.

never added anything to my fleet, they sit for 6 months most of the time, just fill up the tank and charge the battery often.

Can you wait until mid October to gas it up? Reason being you get more RVP in the fuel, and that's the "first stuff to go". Then there'll be enough left in the spring to start it.

Though this is splitting hairs, the EVAP system on that car should keep the fumes in.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Though this is splitting hairs, the EVAP system on that car should keep the fumes in.

that I can believe

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Can you wait until mid October to gas it up? Reason being you get more RVP in the fuel, and that's the "first stuff to go". Then there'll be enough left in the spring to start it.

Seriously, think of ALL the cars that sit on the dealership lot with barely any gas for YEARS.

The only thing extra is for the diesel, I make sure I go North and burn off 20 to 30 gallons off the tank and then fill winter diesel so the diesel does not gel in winter.

I used to do a lot of 'the collector car fanatic' type winter prep stuff. As the years went by and I got older and lazy and more cars, I did less and less. The result was the same=no issues. Late model parasitic draws to the battery would dictate disconnect or charging tho-good luck. Dan Mpls. Mn.

I stored the Boxster over the winter with a stiff shot of StarTron and a standard dose of MMO in a full tank of shell 93 for four months. No problems in spring.

I used a standard dose of StarTron with Shell 93 the rest of the year. Some have stated mixed results with StarTron, but never gave me any issues.

Stabil Marine formula seems to have the strongest following here on BITOG. I still run StarTron in my riding mower and will winter it over with it and a bit of MMO. I pull the battery out of the mower and put it in the basement for the winter.

Another vote for Stabil; you choose regular or marine just use the proper dosage.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
which StaBil every one using ? there few different bottle.

I've used both Marine and the regular "red" stuff with good results. Just use the recommended dosage.

I did some reading on the Marine Stabil and appears the main difference other than being more concentrated is that it uses a non-alcohol method of increasing the fuel's hydroscopic properties to reduce free water in the fuel system and therefore inhibit corrosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back