GM: 2 batteries on a gasser. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Sorry, sometimes it hard to convey or get a joke on the net.

smile.gif
laugh.gif

Yeah, my bad. I shoulda used a
smile.gif

I used to work at a camper lot in the last millennium. It was common to put second batteries and a charging circuit in trucks that carried or towed RVs. They could use the second battery to provide lighting, water pump, etc. power in the RV without discharging the primary vehicle battery to the point it wouldn't start.

This is what happens when someone buys a truck for none truck things. All GM trucks have a nice spot under the hood for a second battery, for plowing and stationary operation they are great, you know truck stuff.

The 3/4 ton and up trucks can even be optioned with larger or dual alternators.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
I used to work at a camper lot in the last millennium. It was common to put second batteries and a charging circuit in trucks that carried or towed RVs. They could use the second battery to provide lighting, water pump, etc. power in the RV without discharging the primary vehicle battery to the point it wouldn't start.

Yes, same on boats, called a "house" battery but then its not usually in parallel with the starting battery.

Odd how my 5.3L Sierra's headlamps dim noticeably when the fan, AC compressor or brake lamps are energized.

Fresh 'oversized' battery notwithstanding, I've investigated retrofitting the optional second battery setup. Its OE tray is already in situ as delivered.

If it is popular to convert that gasoline truck to a Class C RV, Ambulance, or a box truck, then having a second battery does make sense.

However, if it is just the standard truck with a gasoline engine I don't see the point.

Don't most po-lice cars have two batteries? Cause of all the flashing lights and electronic stuff they run.

Originally Posted By: Nayov
What part of towing requires a second battery?

Must have been a 5.3.

edit: I mean what extra electrical load is imposed by towing?

Electric trailer breaks and RV power.

He said it was GM. No 5.7 in a GM in 2007.
smile.gif

Woman brought in her truck (2007 w/ 5.7 GAS motor) for a new battery. She flipped when we told her it had 2 and both had to be replaced. Why 2 batteries on a gas motor pick up
truck, and is it possible to jury rig it so one can be used?
Did he?

Quote:
Why 2 batteries on a gas motor pick up
truck

-Plow
-winch
-lights
-HAM radio/amped CB
-RV power
-trailer brakes
-Tommy lift gate
-tow truck conversions
-Rescue/emergency vehicles
-cold starting
-heated seats
-heated mirrors
-running inverters to watch telletubbies on the DVD player.

Last edited:
On the GMT-900 trucks the passenger side battery is the "primary" with the driver side one being the auxiliary. Lots of reasons to have it, extreme cold weather starting is the biggest reason in my area but extra lights, plows, RV accessories, multi axle trailer brakes, anything else you can think of will run longer on a dual battery system if the alternator fails.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy

What 2007 has a 5.7?

a Dodge

He said it was GM. No 5.7 in a GM in 2007.
smile.gif

I don't see OP saying Gm? Someone else said it was an option on GM???? Am I reading incorrectly?

Originally Posted By: asand1
What part of towing requires a second battery?

Must have been a 5.3.

edit: I mean what extra electrical load is imposed by towing?

Electric trailer breaks and RV power.

Electric brakes really don't draw much... I believe it's 3.6A at each wheel. A dual-axle trailer only needs max ~14A, and really more like 2/3 of that before they lock up, which you'd dial out at the controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back