Selling Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of selling my Dell Dimension 3000 (80G-HD,2GB-Mem 3GHz machine) with a HP 22 inch monitor. Running Vista Ultimate. Running well with no problems. What is a fair selling price? Thank you. Ed Hayes

Originally Posted By: Eddie
What is a fair selling price?

Give it to someone that can use it -- it'll mean much more to them than the few bucks you'll get trying to sell such an obsolete relic.

a p4 3ghz? you can get refurbs that are 4-6x faster for 99$

the p4 3ghz gets about a 365 cpumark

a core2duo 2.8ghz has ~~ 1760

if you are including the monitor 100$ seems fair.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Give it to someone that can use it -- it'll mean much more to them than the few bucks you'll get trying to sell such an obsolete relic.

100 times THIS.

Computers are relatively worthless appliances now, like toasters. Just give it to someone needy who can use it, or donate it to Goodwill or something.

Make sure you wipe the drive with something like DBAN first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darik's_Boot_and_Nuke

I'm thinking of selling my Dell Dimension 3000 (80G-HD,2GB-Mem 3GHz machine) with a HP 22 inch monitor. Running Vista Ultimate. Running well with no problems. What is a fair selling price? Thank you. Ed Hayes
I have thrown better computers into the trash or given them away for free.

Yeah unfortunately the IDE HD and Socket 478 P4 in there, which still loaded with lots of life, isn't too valuable to many.

If it were a 775 P4 with a SATA HD... might make a good shop/garage beater.

Goodwill will either refurb the computer, then resell it,
Or
They will recycle the parts.

Hard drives are wiped, zeros written over, or shredded...

They also recycle almost any electronic device...

Gee, L_Sluger throws better computers in the garbage than mine but, the general consensus is ~ <$100 with 22" monitor. If I can find a friend or relative who will use it, I'll give it to them, otherwise it goes on Craig's List for $75. Thanks for your inputs except L_Sluger:)) Ed.

Thanks for your inputs except L_Sluger:)) Ed.
48.gif
Or given away, that was my operative word. Two years ago I gave away a 2.4ghz Core 2 duo computer with 8gb ram and a 250gb hard drive with a Dell 2001FP monitor. Guy needed a computer.

Gee, L_Sluger throws better computers in the garbage than mine but, the general consensus is ~ div>

The monitor is probably worth 50$

a working computer whats the min value it if works?

I'd say 75-100$ total is good.

of course I just recycled 4 of these personally. Didnt even want to give them away... because then I have to go fix them lol (relatives)

Last edited:
I have the same computer, and I would say $50 at most. With a monitor, maybe $80. It's a very good computer, but since its about 10 years old it just isn't worth a ton.

It's not that it isn't still a good computer but that it is obsolete. I doubt that you'll find drivers for any Windows OS newer than XP and that is also obsolete and now very insecure. That leaves you with running some version of Linux.

I agree with others that you're better off finding a value for the monitor, maybe $50.00 and donate the pc to a charity or someone that can make use of it.

Don't despair, you've had a VERY good run with that machine! :)

Running Vista Ultimate.

Load Ubuntu on it and sell (or give) it to somebody who just needs an internet cruiser.
BTW, I'm running Ubuntu on a $298 Compaq machine (purchased at Wally World) that I'm typing on and it's about 10 years old. Hasn't had a problem since I took Windows off of it.

He may be running Vista on it but there are no Dell drivers available for any Windows newer than XP for the Dimension 3000. So, either it's running Vista without needed drivers, with XP drivers or, more likely, whatever drivers Vista could find when it was installed.

It would be much better to run a version of Linux on it.

I see I'm not the only one running an old Dell dimension confuser! P4, 3.2GHz, 3G RAM, WXP. I think my newer video card is faster than the MB!

I've been considering buying myself a newer confuser. Something at least with a dual-core. I haven't had to buy a new one because people keep giving me theirs that are broke and I fix them.

However, confusers have now entered the arena of disposable 'techno-junk'. It's amazing what you can get on sale, even at $199. It just leaves the old stuff in the dust. I think the new PS, video card and HD I stuffed in are worth more than everything else. Perhaps I should look at a new MB that would fit in the case?

Originally Posted By: Rand
.... Didnt even want to give them away... because then I have to go fix them ...

For this very reason I too have become hesitant to pass such items on to people I know. I hate to throw away items that may be useful to others, so when I give them away I clearly state that I have done my best to make it clean and functional, but there is no warranty and I am not responsible for ongoing support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back