Lucas FTW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a new transmission in my van, and I will probably get one this week. This is a 2001 GMC Savana 1500 with the 4.3 and 4L60E. A few weeks ago, I replaced the valve body due to a code P1870. The new valve body fixed the problem, and I was able to pass smog. However, now that the transmission wasn't slamming into second gear, I noticed that second was slipping like an essobee. I parked the van for a couple of days, and thought, hey, why not try Lucas. Now, I know that something that you pour into your transmission can't fix a mechanical problem, but I needed to keep driving this van until I could get a new tranny. After three bottles of Lucas Transmission Fix, I've been able to drive it for a couple of weeks. I've already driven it today, and it works ...OK. If I stab the throttle when everything is warmed up, it slips. However, if I drive gently, I can go wherever I need to go, and freeway speeds aren't a problem. I usually drive in 3 rather than D.

So there you have it. I will no doubt become a BITOG pariah for having posted this, and also for not having a double-blind, peer-reviewed study to back up my experience, but it's working for me.

Glad you're gonna replace that tranny.. 3 bottles of sludge with no soap or detergents or anti-foaming additives isn't gonna help the pump at all.
I'd have gone with LG red and not looked back.

I would have put that in a long while ago and kept up with it and not ever had to worry.

If you're hauling a lot of cargo, why not just add an external tranny cooler and an inline magnefine? It's the best investment.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Quieting a trans down with Lucas ranks with pouring sawdust into the trans.

Well, let's see how that comparison works out. First, Lucas didn't quiet down my transmission, it made it slip less. Secondly, isn't that sawdust trick for manual transmissions? And third (correct me if I'm wrong here), don't sawdust and Lucas transmission treatment represent two different states of matter?

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
3 bottles? That stuff must be just a lump on the bottom of the pan.

Right, 'cause that could totally happen. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted By: Stelth

Well, let's see how that comparison works out. First, Lucas didn't quiet down my transmission, it made it slip less. Secondly, isn't that sawdust trick for manual transmissions? And third (correct me if I'm wrong here), don't sawdust and Lucas transmission treatment represent two different states of matter?

Stelth, you asked for some answers and you are mocking responses from folks who are better informed than you are. Good luck getting the mileage you need out of this transmission and in eventually getting a replacement, but understand the nature of Lucas quick-fix products.

Just a viscosity booster. Visc for more pressure and less internal leakage. Good luck with it.

Add a bottle of Lubegard Platinum for some AW and seal conditioners.

Quite a while ago, I had an auto trans that would slip out of drive into neutral at stops and other bad behavior. Trans shop said if I wanted to try to extend the life before failure, to add a couple bottles of slick 50 trans treatment to it, and I'd maybe get a few more months. That stuff was like grape jelly, but it helped big time.
Sometimes you can prolong the inevitable.
I've also had results with Lucas p/s stopleak, then maxlife PS fluid. Fixed a couple of PS leaks this way.

The trans in the old '84 Caravan pretty much had nothing but Lucas stop slip in it for a couple of years. Worked great!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TomYoung

Stelth, you asked for some answers and you are mocking responses from folks who are better informed than you are. Good luck getting the mileage you need out of this transmission and in eventually getting a replacement, but understand the nature of Lucas quick-fix products.

I wouldn't say better informed when some can't even comprehend his first post and the reason for putting it in there.

Actually, that can and does happen stelth.

Originally Posted By: lexus114

Actually, that can and does happen stelth.

Three bottles can lump in that 1/8"-1/4" gap between the pick up and the pan? No. It's getting diluted and mixed around with the rest of the ATF. If it didn't, there wouldn't have been a change in performance.

Trust me, you aren't the only guy who saved a transmission with Lucas ATF additives.

I helped my grandmother get another 10,000 miles out of her 2004 Chrysler T&C van by adding a bottle of Lucas ATF additive.

However, I would never use Lucas ATF additive in a transmission that still works properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back