post your latest transmission lubricant change.

2012 Nissan Rogue CVT

40,400 on odometer

Out factory fill

In 4.75quarts of Nissan NS-2

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 178,259

out whatever was put in at 157,562 (carfax when i bought it listed a transmission fluid service)

in 5.5ish qts Supertech ATF+4 and a WIX filter

fluid change necessitated by need to replace governor pressure sensor and solenoid

BMW 540i with 5hp30 transmission, 241,000 miles. New filter with 5.5 quarts of Fuchs Titan 3353 ATF, plus a bottle of Lubegard Red.

Last edited:
2004 Crown Victoria LX with modified 2008 4R75E.
81,700mi on car, 5,000mi on transmission (plus whatever it got in the car it was originally in, supposedly only 1,000mi. It looked brand new when I installed it.)
Additional filtration via a Racor LFS kit with the TF1006RE filter. It is plumbed into the cooler line post cooler.
Decided to change both filters and retorque the valve body.
Magnet only had a dusting of metal powder. I didnt even bother cleaning it.
Should be ready for the long haul now!
Refilled with about 5qts of Schaeffers #204SAT full synthetic ATF.

05 ram with 545rfe. Dropped pan with original atf and replaced both filters, and 7 quarts of atf+4(valvoline). Much smoother shifting.

1995 GM 4L60E with unknown fluid / unknown mileage. Pan and magnet were fairly clean, and old fluid wasn't too horrible looking.

Cut cooler return line and pumped out nearly five quarts from pan. Dropped pan and replaced filter and pan gasket with Wix 58904 kit. Replaced pan and ran twelve quarts of Havoline MD-3 through until fluid ran a clear, deep red. Tied up line with a 3/8" brass barb, checked for correct level, and called it a day.

1992 Vespa PK 50 XL, 6250mi. Slipping (wet) clutch.

Out - Oil, black with bits and pieces. Likely SAE 30, unknown milage.
In - 50cc Agip Moto Gear Synth 75W90.
Out - 50cc oil, black. Zero miles, 30s idling.
In - 250cc Agip Moto Gear Synth 75W90.
Out - 250cc oil, brown-ish. 10 mi.
In - 250cc Agip Moto Gear Synth 75W90.

Much better clutch
smile.gif

I know, not quite the F-150. At 90+ mpg great for your GAFE (Garage Average Fuel Economy), though.

Last edited:
2007 G35x 46,465 miles

Drain and fill 4 quarts of Nissan Matic-S. Not sure if it was the original fluid.

Old fluid came out clean. No real change in shifts.

2012 Honda Civic 1.8L 53,800 miles

2.9 qt Honda ATF DW-1.

This was the second fluid change; the first one was done at about 27k.

The drained fluid was still very clean.

New to me 2006 Saturn Relay 3 with a 4T65E (I believe it is a 4T65E) w/127k miles.

Out - 5 qts thru the dispstick tube. Looks like the factory fill Dex VI if I was guessing. Need to do a pan drop and filter change but that will have to wait about three months.

In - 5 qts Valvoline Maxlife Full Synth

Will do another extraction/fill in a month.

06 Dakota radiator fitting failure(mechanic error) and pumped out a lot of ATF. Had to change rad, so did service on 545RFE- both filters. Pan was relatively clean, buttoned up and added 10 quarts AMSOIL ATF. Mileage on truck, 123,000. Mileage since trans service, 61,000 miles. Drives and shifts very nice.

2011 Hyundai Accent I just purchased. Unknown maintenance history. 62K miles.

Out - 5 qts of what I will assume is the factory fill SP III

in - 4 qts Valvoline Multi-Import Synthetic and 1 qt Eneos SP.

Will likely drop pan and change filter/fluid in about 2 to 3 months.

98 MGM 4r70w. 147K. Had cherry in pan so only did pan drop and filter this time. No trans service in records. Manual says lifetime (yeah right) Fluid still reasonable in color and smell. Normal amount of clutch [censored] in pan for this mileage.

Out (factory fill)
In (Castrol Transmax Mercon V) 4 quarts.

Shifting was ok before but perfect now.

Last edited:
2012 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 4WD

Drain and Fill
Out 4.5qt (Maxlife Dex/Merc + LG Red)

In 4.5qt (Maxlife Dex/Merc + LG Red)

Originally Posted By: tnt31
New to me 2006 Saturn Relay 3 with a 4T65E (I believe it is a 4T65E) w/127k miles.

Out - 5 qts thru the dispstick tube. Looks like the factory fill Dex VI if I was guessing. Need to do a pan drop and filter change but that will have to wait about three months.

In - 5 qts Valvoline Maxlife Full Synth

Will do another extraction/fill in a month.

Do the filter ASAP! Per a friend of mine that made 6 figures replacing transmissions last year: Transmissions don't fail after a flush/fluid change (without filter change) because the gunk was holding them together, they fail because the gunk plugs the filter lowering hydraulic pressure causing the clutches to slip from inadequate holding pressure. It's better for the transmission to do a filter change and 3 qt. top-off than to do a 8-12 qt flush/fluid change without filter.

If you want to do a complete flush + filter do the flush first, then filter (and clean the 1/8" of gunk off the bottom of the pan when doing filter).

Last edited:
2004 Saturn ION-2 manual trans:

Out: 2 qts. Conventional Dex/Merc (Valvoline or Castrol? About 3 years old, looked and smelled like new.)
In: 2 qts. Supertech conventional Dex/Merc

Last edited:
Back