Transmission fluid change? 2009 Ford Escape 2.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do all the maintenance on a family friend's 2009 Ford Escape. It has the 2.5L 4 cylinder, automatic transmission, and is front wheel drive. The vehicle has about 40,000 miles on it now, and the original transmission was replaced under warranty at around 15,000 miles.

I recently checked the transmission fluid and it wasn't burnt, but definitely not clear and pink. It was a much darker red. I don't know much about these transmissions, but seeing how it was replaced after 15,000 miles I'm not too confident.

Is there a way to change the fluid in this, or is it "sealed"? Crawling around underneath I didn't really see anything that looked like a drain plug. If the fluid is able to be changed, what fluid does it require? I'm all about making things last longer.

I dont know if it has a drain plug or not but im sure you could do a line flush especially if it has a cooler?

Yes it's a small drain plug on the very bottom, pointing straight down. It will be on the drivers side. You may have to remove a splash shield to see it. 4 quarts drain and fill. I use valvoline maxlife atf.

I can take pictures tmrw if you need.

Originally Posted By: stranger706
Yes it's a small drain plug on the very bottom, pointing straight down. It will be on the drivers side. You may have to remove a splash shield to see it. 4 quarts drain and fill. I use valvoline maxlife atf.

I can take pictures tmrw if you need.

Okay thanks! If you happen to snap a picture that would be awesome. Do you know what the original Ford spec fluid is supposed to be?

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: tig1
Check the owners manuel.

I would if she could find it.

https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentSe.../OwnerGuidePage

Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back