For those of you who have used M1 HM.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 5 quarts of M1 HM 5w30 waiting to go in the Uplander in a month or so. This van leaks/consumes about a quart of oil per 3000 +/- miles. For those of you who have used this oil, how effective was/is it at slowing or stopping your leaking or burning issue? Have other oils worked better or worse? Oil change interval should be around 5K miles with a Fram Ultra that will be used twice. I went with M1 HM because I wanted to use the same "brand" in both vehicles. Mobil 1 in both the Uplander and Accord this upcoming OCI.

I have used M1 HM and Maxlife HM in my '96 GM 454 (which are supposed to be "oil burners"). My consumption was unchanged (about 1 quart per 4k miles) with the M1. With the Maxlife HM blend it is significantly less. This is of course very anecdotal, as my first two oil changes were with the M1, and all subsequent were with the Maxlife. Very unscientific.

Mobil 1 HM slowed consumption a bit in an older Saturn SL series I had, maybe from a qt. every 3,000 miles to 4,000 miles. It also appears to have done some cleaning in a Mercury Sable I had more recently, but I didn't have it long enough to get any baseline...

It did nothing for the leaking seals in my Firebird, even after 3,000 miles. Pennzoil High Mileage stopped it almost completely, however.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I have 5 quarts of M1 HM 5w30 waiting to go in the Uplander in a month or so. This van leaks/consumes about a quart of oil per 3000 +/- miles. For those of you who have used this oil, how effective was/is it at slowing or stopping your leaking or burning issue? Have other oils worked better or worse? Oil change interval should be around 5K miles with a Fram Ultra that will be used twice. I went with M1 HM because I wanted to use the same "brand" in both vehicles. Mobil 1 in both the Uplander and Accord this upcoming OCI.

Not too much. Is it leaking or consuming more oil? If it is actually leaking and not an easy leak to fix, I have used Blue Devil Oil Stop Leak. It is a little bit of an investment at $20 for a bottle, but has a money back guarantee. I've head great results with it as far as leaks. Consumption is a different story though.

I tried Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w30 in my Jeep 4.0L. It burned 1/2 quart of it in 3000 miles. It never burned oil before that, and I have used other oils since and it still doesn't burn oil. Not sure what the deal was with the Mobil 1, but I figured it is too expensive to be burning it, haha. I've run it in other vehicles without issue, so maybe the 4.0 just didn't like it. If you have it on hand I would give it a try and see.

I think i got better consumption with Maxlife full synthetic than M1 HM , but 1 quart per 3,000 is nothing. My Bull drinks about 1 qt every 1,000 miles or so.

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
I don't think that there is anything to fix. Consumption of a quart every 3K is completely acceptable.

Its also leaking.

I've used M1 HM either 5W30 or 10W30 for about 100K in my 97 Camry (it has about 273K on it now). The engine had usage comparable to what you're experiencing until I had the valve cover gasket replaced. Once the valve cover gasket was replace, usage dropped to 1/2 to 1 qt per 5K miles. I've never really noticed much difference in oil usage from using the M1 HM. I'm hoping it helps with the sludge monster 5SFE engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back