New Mazda MX-5 Miata

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im curious about this too. But I'm more curious as to how it drives. I can't wait to test drive one next year! I've driven every generation of Miata thusfar, and I'd like to really see how the new one compares to mine.

If they're super popular when released and there's a shortage, then there will be dealer markups.

You just have to wait it out.

I doubt I'll shell out for one, but new Miata looks awesome. I hoped they would go for a more aggressive look and they did.

I'm waiting for the fastback coupe- which will probably never be built...

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
How much do you think the dealers are going to jack up the price on the new MX-5 when it's released?

Simple solution is to simply tell the dealer you're not paying any markup, if you want to have one soon after release. If they don't drop it, then tell them you're not buying, and they just lost a guaranteed sale today.

Then start heading for the door, and let them know that you're on your way over to the next closest Mazda dealer, and you're going to bring the car by here after you buy it, without markups.

Now, if you expecting to immediately buy a 2016 for $3k below invoice on January 20th, forget it.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
How much do you think the dealers are going to jack up the price on the new MX-5 when it's released?

Simple solution is to simply tell the dealer you're not paying any markup, if you want to have one soon after release. If they don't drop it, then tell them you're not buying, and they just lost a guaranteed sale today.

Then start heading for the door, and let them know that you're on your way over to the next closest Mazda dealer, and you're going to bring the car by here after you buy it, without markups.

Now, if you expecting to immediately buy a 2016 for $3k below invoice on January 20th, forget it.

BC.

I remember when I was thinking about getting a CX-5 after it first came out. The dealers couldn't even get them! I don't think there were any discounts

I bought my MS3 in July 2007; the local dealers were charging $3k over MSRP and no test drives were allowed without a signed buyers order. I found a dealer 100 miles away who offered a test drive and ended up selling me one for MSRP and threw in lifetime oil changes.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I remember when I was thinking about getting a CX-5 after it first came out. The dealers couldn't even get them! I don't think there were any discounts

Yes, at the very beginning of a vehicle being on the market, that's almost always true.
But, if you wait, then they get more numerous at dealers, and you can get them for either MSRP, or better.

I waited a full year after the initial release, and I was rewarded with the bigger engine, and several discounts on top of Invoice pricing for mine.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: Miller88

Yes, at the very beginning of a vehicle being on the market, that's almost always true.
But, if you wait, then they get more numerous at dealers, and you can get them for either MSRP, or better.

I waited a full year after the initial release, and I was rewarded with the bigger engine, and several discounts on top of Invoice pricing for mine.

BC.

The price also went up a bit I believe. It was $19K for the base model. I would have got the manual, so I wouldn't have been able to get the 2.5L engine.

I just read some new info on the internet that basically said the base model Miata will only have a 1.5L with about 135 horsepower! Good gosh...regardless of the lower curb weight, that's rather puny. The current model has 167 or so horsepower. What are they doing?
The sort of good news is some talk of a premium engined model that has a 2.0L and MAY have a turbo (or not). Of course I can see that one selling at over $30k.
Beautiful looking car, but will it sell as a base model with such low power?

The new Miata will have the same engine as the new Mazda2?

If the base Miata is priced low enough, that engine might suffice.
wink.gif

Just read that the US Spec will come with the 2.0 liter standard. I would take the fuel economy of the 1.5. The fun of the miata is not in 0-60, it's in the turns.

ref

Originally Posted By: refaller
Just read that the US Spec will come with the 2.0 liter standard. I would take the fuel economy of the 1.5. The fun of the miata is not in 0-60, it's in the turns.

ref

If this ^ is true about the 2.0 being standard in the U.S., then all is well.
But a 1.5 with only 135HP? No way...wouldn't matter if it turned on a dime...and I love agility!

Confirmed, it's the 2.0 Skyactive for the USA. More specifically, Mazda states that it's tuned for the MX-5. So, it's not going to be the 155HP version that's in the Mazda 3.

I'm going to guess North of 170HP. As this is supposedly an ultra high compression version. Also, Subaru/Toyota's 2.0 4cyl direct inj engine is 200HP. So, it's very likely to be a great powerplant for the MX5.

Originally Posted By: refaller

ref

The Subaru BRZ was built with an emphasis on cornering, but more people buy a WRX because they want the power.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Confirmed, it's the 2.0 Skyactive for the USA. More specifically, Mazda states that it's tuned for the MX-5. So, it's not going to be the 155HP version that's in the Mazda 3.

I'm going to guess North of 170HP. As this is supposedly an ultra high compression version. Also, Subaru/Toyota's 2.0 4cyl direct inj engine is 200HP. So, it's very likely to be a great powerplant for the MX5.

They are already 13:1 in the US - think it's going to be higher?

Surprised at it, though. I thought Mazda said the sykactiv-g engine wouldn't work in RWD because the 4-5-1 header would be sticking out of the fender

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back