Fram Tough Guard vs Purolator PureOne air filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yellow vs blue
Fram part number TGA7351
Purolator part number PA24690

Which one is better? Both of these are very *lightly* oiled media

The Tough Guard has yellow media; the P1 is blue.

Fram's is more widely available, but of course the P1 can be ordered online if it's better.

The Fram TGA7351 is now US-made as of current stock I saw at Walmart today. I don't know where the PA24690 is made.

Both companies' regular filters are made in China. The Napa Gold 6017 (Wix 46017) on my car now is made in Poland.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

If you do the P1, make sure it's newer 2014 stock..

Why for air filters? This is new to me.

Sorry, long day and I'm tired. Disregard.
laugh.gif

I usually buy Fram because it's more readily available at Walmart, but both air filters have similar efficiency ratings. And as soon as they get some miles on them and build up a layer of dust and dirt, they should filter pretty much the same. Buy whichever is cheaper or easier to get your hands on.

On a more accurate note regarding filters, I have been using a Fram filter for the past 12k miles and my filter minder has yet to show any orange at all. I'm going to switch out to a Delco filter when this one loads up, because Delco filters perform better than Fram standard filters. I have no idea how they stack up against the oiled models, however.

I know Fram tests their filters throughly even if they don't post efficiency ratings and being made in the USA is a big plus. Right now I'm running the PureOne air but side by side I think I'm switching to TG after I run this at least 30k.

@901

What part number is your P1 air filter? Do you know where it was made by any chance?

I use the PA35330, but not sure where it was made, its been installed for awhile. In any event i think it was old stock at the Advance i went to the box was a little dusty.

Cool, thanks for the info.

I will probably end up with the Tough Guard since I know it to be US-made, and cheaper and more easily available than the P1.

I just put a PA31592 in the Ranger and its made in USA. Says it 99.5 efficiency, lightly oiled. Swapped out the K&N I had in it.
Decided I preferred something I didn't need to wash and oil.

just curious why newer 2014 stock did they improve their air filters or were you talking about the oil filters and how do you know they improved anything? Just curious i hope they do improve.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
I just put a PA31592 in the Ranger and its made in USA. Says it 99.5 efficiency, lightly oiled. Swapped out the K&N I had in it.
Decided I preferred something I didn't need to wash and oil.

And something that actually will keep the dirt from getting into your engine. Good choice with the TG!

I went to buy an air filter for my truck recently. I did on-line shopping that showed WM was the least expensive, with Fram, in my area. The WM web site showed the TG air was considerably less expensive than the Purolator blue filter at AAP.

Went to WM and shelf price on the TG was about $5 higher than at WM web site. I took the TG from the shelf to a price checker scanner and it verified the shelf tag price. I was a bit hacked off by this so I didn't buy it.

Went home and checked the WM web site again and sure enough the WM.com price was about $5 lower than the shelf price for the TG, so I purchased it on-line for in-store pickup. Saved $5 that way. So I did the same on-line purchase at the second WM where I live and picked another up for a future air filter change.

It's weird - the Fram Ultra oil filter for my wife's car is about $0.70 cheaper on WM.com than the shelf price in the store. But the TG2 that fits my truck has the same price at WM.com as the shelf price in the store, so it isn't consistent.

My advice is to try checking the WM.com price for the TG air filter that fits your vehicle as part of your decision process. It made my decision vs. Purolator blue air filter a snap!

Good score @tommygunn!

I think there's a typo in the part number in your most recent post?

tommygunn said:
Yellow vs blue
Fram part number TGA7351
Purolator part number PA24690
http://www.amazon.com/FRAM-TGA7351S-Tough-Guard-Filter/dp/B0010DW63A

It doesn't show to be qualified for free shipping via Amazon Prime. You just have to get a total qualifying Amazon order for $35 to get free shipping, or subscribe to their delivery service.

Well, I've tried editing but can't seem to get the quote tool to work right for me. I give up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back