How about FQIA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have the Petroleum Quality Institute of America to independently test fluids. Why not a Filter Quality Institute of America to test oil, air, fuel filters etc. Any thoughts on this.

Wouldn't that be nice. I keep reading about having 99% efficiency at n microns. I'd love to see that independently verified using standardized tests.

It really is interesting that there aren't standards that filter manufacturers have to conform to, like an API certification. It seems to me like there really should be requirements.

Oil manufacturers don't have to comply with API certification at all, or ACEA certification, or any others at all. It only comes into play if they claim such certification.

The automakers call for an oil such as a dexos1 5w-30, or an SN/GF-5 5w-30, or an A3/B4 oil. Oil companies are fully entitled to make non-detergent monogrades without API licensing, and they do so. It just doesn't meet the manuals' requirements.

If the automakers decided to make an oil filter standard, I'm sure they could. However, getting them all to agree on something might be a bit difficult, and we do know they like to sell OEM filters, which are a higher profit margin and take less space than OEM oil.

There are SAE standardized tests. Just getting the filter manufacturers to publish all the data from these tests would be a huge step forward.

I'm not going to hold my breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back