I knew it- STP junk!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a leak develop on my van. To keep it short the crappy STP oil filter has a hole in it. I got the thing free after rebate and was some what suprised at how light and flimsy it felt.I installed it any way. I noticed a small oil stain under the vehicle and observed a little indentation on the filter. The oil was dripping through a small crack.Back to Purolator for me. The STP is just too cheap and flimsy.I have a pic if anyone is interested.

Advance Auto Parts has Purolator Premium Plus oil filters on sale right now for $2.44 in most sizes.

FWIW, you can get a bad oil filter with any brand. In over 30 years of changing my own oil, the only badly defective new filter I ever got was- a Purolator!
grin.gif
Happened just a few years ago, the shell & seam weren't properly joined. Sprayed out one heckuva lot of oil real quick! No, I don't hold it against them, bought a bunch of Purolator-made house brands recently, as well as a regular Purolator yesterday.

Any filter can be defective even the most expensive and durable once but personally I never go cheap when it comes to oil, filter or spare parts. Always the best stuff and OEM overpriced parts from stealer shop
smile.gif

My beef with the STP filter is that you can feel how flimsy it is.The metal is very thin which is bound to give it less protection in the event a peice of gravel hitting it.Making things as cheap as possible can be a false economy.

If you are talking physical canister strength, I think the Purolator line isn't that much stronger than an STP. You can dent the filter, if you have strong hands, and the will to do so.

Try that with a Mobil 1 or a K&N. Doubt you can...
grin.gif

For a couple $, it's hard to beat the SuperTech. It's built like a tank, as well.

quote:

Originally posted by Stuart Hughes:
FWIW, you can get a bad oil filter with any brand. In over 30 years of changing my own oil, the only badly defective new filter I ever got was- a Purolator!
grin.gif
Happened just a few years ago, the shell & seam weren't properly joined. Sprayed out one heckuva lot of oil real quick! No, I don't hold it against them, bought a bunch of Purolator-made house brands recently, as well as a regular Purolator yesterday.

Sounds similar to the issue that Subaru had recently with the latest OEM filters manufacturerd by Purolator. Leaking seams...Subaru ended up "recalling" the filters and they're now back to using the Tokyo Roki filters (which I prefer). Anyway, just goes to show you that any manufacturer can have problems from time to time.

The reason I asked where the leak was..it shouldn't happen with a spin on oil filter, no matter the brand, made by Champ.

100% of the spin on oil filters are tested for leaks before they are packaged. Not some. Everyone. Which is one of the reason various OEMs have them build filters for them.

Now there is a rare case when one gets out that does. In the 18 years I was at Champ the brand I sold had 2 filters that had no threads and should never have got past the leak test. So there is the off chance a "leaker" might slip by so that's why I was curious where the leak was.

I've never seen or heard a recall because of bad seams on oil filters from Champ.

The only recall I knew of was on a diesel fuel/water seperator where the see-through bowl had a problem.

Have to go with Stuart. On the other hand, I don't ever remember a defective one myself or a punctured canister. Big comparo coming soon ST/STP 3950's off my truck.

This is the first time I have tried to post a pic. It may take a while. The hole is in the dome end. It looks like a small rock may have hit it.
The Purolator I replaced it with certainly seems sturdier in that area. Not scientific just by pressing it with my thumbs.

If it was hit by a rock- well, due to filter location that's one of my concerns with the Neon. In my experience, with oil filters of the Wix 51085/AC-Delco PF13/Purolator L14670/Evil Fram PH-16 size, the one with the thickest shell is the Wix. The thinnest, weakest feeling shell I've checked was on a Purolator Pure One PL14670. I was also using the "thumb test".
wink.gif

In fact, it seems that fear of punctures, justified or not, led to a change in the Neon oil filters. The first 1995 Neons all had oil filters in the AC PF13/Fram PH-16 size. When the 96 models came out, they had switched to the much smaller AC PF53/Fram PH-3614 size. My take on this? If you drive a Neon a lot on dirt/gravel roads, use the smaller filter. If you drive on pavement all the time, use the full-diameter short filters like the Wix 51085, Purolator L14670, SuperTech ST16, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back