Need info on used BMW 3 series

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to purchase a used BMW 3 series, the E46 version which is model years 1999 to 2006. I know nothing about BMWs other than they bill themselves as "The Ultimate Driving Machines." I have worked with a few people in the past that have really liked them but those were all new purchases. I had a neighbor a few years ago and that was the only brand his family owned. They must have had six of them. He was always extolling the virtues of owning a Bimmer. He moved so I can't ask him and the used car dealership sales person likely won't tell you anything bad about the brand of car he is selling. I cannot afford a new BMW so I thought the used route would be the way to go. I'm not looking for an M series, just a regular 3 series.

This new to me vehicle would likely get driven less than 10K in a year. I don't care if it is 2 or 4 door and manual or automatic isn't a factor either. What years of the E46 are better than others? How well do they last with decent maintenance? Are they hard to work on for simple maintenance items like oil changes, plugs, fuel filter, etc? What about major defects? I have heard their Steptronic slushbox isn't that great but have no real proof. What questions should I be asking when looking at this type of used vehicle?

Please share any and all information you have on these German vehicles.

Well, my SIL/BIL have/had 3 BMWs(Z4, X5, 328 or 330xi), and their neighbor has a 2013 5 Series sedan. They love'em! Though, their neighbor can't keep her 5 Series out of the shop since new.

My SIL/BIL have had their share of issues with all of them considering the newish years and the good condition the cars are in.

Yeah, I have driven all of 'em and they're great cars to drive fast or slow. Really well built and tightly constructed/quiet! 'Cept the Z4.

The stuff that goes wrong with their cars, is stuff that I couldn't get used to myself but, I am not in the same income category as they are. They certainly didn't have these issues with their Toyota's & Lexus'! But, the BMW just drive better and are better to be seen in. It's nice to be arriving somewhere in a BMW!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
and are better to be seen in. It's nice to be arriving somewhere in a BMW!
laugh.gif

That's a sad testament to someone with serious self image issues.

Char - what type of issues have those BMWs had? Up until this point in my life I have owned Ford, Nissan, Mopar and Chevy..........only American or Japanese, no German. I am not in a high income bracket and need whatever I buy to be basically trouble free. Catastrophic failures aren't in the budget.

Buy from a private party and see if they put cheap tires on it. If they used cheap tires they'll be cheap about other services as well.

Or do you need the dealer b/c you have to finance?

The dealer markup on used, near luxury cars is even more ridiculous (IMO) than on bread & butter stuff, making finding a private party one even more important.

Join some forums posted above, you might find one for sale in their classifieds, then you can search that username for all the trouble they've ever had.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
and are better to be seen in. It's nice to be arriving somewhere in a BMW!
laugh.gif

That's a sad testament to someone with serious self image issues.

These 2(SIL/BIL) are both Directors/VP's of the companies that they work for and both are in really good physical condition(both in mid-late 50's), she's pretty, he's handsome and both are tall! There is no self image issues here!
laugh.gif

And you're not talking about me, are you? Of course not!

Originally Posted By: LexAtlanta
Char - what type of issues have those BMWs had? Up until this point in my life I have owned Ford, Nissan, Mopar and Chevy..........only American or Japanese, no German. I am not in a high income bracket and need whatever I buy to be basically trouble free. Catastrophic failures aren't in the budget.

Mostly, very costly electrical and HVAC issues. I can't answer for all of their issues. I'm sure there are some problems that I am unaware of. They got rid of the X5 SUV and got a Murano in it's place. This Murano may just be for a while til they find what they really want.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Or do you need the dealer b/c you have to finance?

No financing would be involved as I have a strict budget. I would prefer a private party sale. I generally don't like car dealers
grin.gif

There are also a couple of auction houses in the area that I can go to. I have bought from an auction before with good results but when you do that you no information whatsoever on the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: shanneba
A few links for E46 info:

Great overview-
http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php?title=BMW_E46

A place to download older owners manuals-
http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/bmw/3manuals/

There is currently a passenger air bag recall on these cars=
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1051961

Good forums for E46 info-
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/forum.php
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98

Wow.........great information!! Thank you.

There are a lot of bargains out there for the 3 series.

15 grand will buy you a heck of a car.

I have been looking at Lexus because I am a huge Toyota fan, but the Lexus's I have driven seem to soft of a ride and less sporty.

Maybe I have been in the wrong ones?

The BMW's and the Acura seem to be more of a sporty drive, which I enjoy.

In my past I wouldn't have been able to spell B-M-W, let alone having a desire to own one but once I did own one, there's no going back. They are tremendous vehicles and they are actually engineered/designed to be maintained. If you have any mechanical abilities at all, you won't find a BMW difficult to work on and parts really aren't, IMO, any more expensive than parts by another make.

We owned a 528i sedan and graduated to an X5d....our commute is 150 miles per day and the comfort level and fuel mileage makes it worth it to own a BMW. I don't feel BMW's are any kind of status symbol and I like them for their reliability and comfort. Folks that have a lot of trouble with their BMW's either 1) don't maintain them properly or 2) have a sub-par dealer/independent garage.

BMW - either you get it or you don't!

The E46 is well made and has been a very reliable car, if you can, stick to the manual but realize the market for resale will be much less, I suggest looking at the BMWCCA classified's, BMWCCA members tend to take care of their cars, Atlanta is a great market to buy a used BMW, take it to a independent BMW shop for a pre purchase inspection, I recommend Harrison Motorsports,

I'd be very uncomfortable owning one out of warranty. Nice looking cars, nice running and operating when everything is working, but not worth the financial risks... owning one in warranty, heck yea. Out...[censored] no. I've only owned 1 BMW (and 1 Mini Cooper), and I couldn't shake the "when will this break" feeling. AWESOME driving autos, though.

Buy a Lexus IS, Infiniti G, Acura TSX if you're looking for something on the "sporty side". Or buy an ES and add some sport springs.

I believe the E46 has subframe issues most notably rot. Wife has an X3(which I believe is built on the E46 structure) and I personally like the way it drives but has had some issues, most notably a tranfer casr that went at 46k miles out of warranty. BMW of a few years back seem to have issues with the basics The N52 has a lifter tick if drive it short distances. I mean lifters have been around forever and they cant get this right. Motor mount bolts breaking due to differt metals of bolts and engine block. BMW X drive seems to have issues as well. If you can due the basics (fluids and brakes) and have the money for a major expense you should be ok. But remember the newest E46 is 8-9 years old already. I wouldnt want it as my daily driver

Last edited:
This one guy, co-owns a burger joint, buys a BMW. I think he's trying to like it, prestige and all, "arrived". Starts discovering things about the car that you just take for granted in passenger cars, such as kissing the curb while parallel parking just scrapes the sidewall in a regular car, but costs you $1200/wheel in a BMW because the rim is flush with the sidewall.

The smiles turned to self-reflection. After all, they're the UDM.
Eventually got rid of it. Not a repeat buyer.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
There are a lot of bargains out there for the 3 series.

15 grand will buy you a heck of a car.

I have been looking at Lexus because I am a huge Toyota fan, but the Lexus's I have driven seem to soft of a ride and less sporty.

Maybe I have been in the wrong ones?

The BMW's and the Acura seem to be more of a sporty drive, which I enjoy.

The newer Lexus' are much sportier. I believe the IS outperformed the 3 series in a handling test. I don't remember the specifics, but it's out there somewhere.

BMW's have lost their "ultimate driving machine" moto, the newer Beamers are not close to what they used to be.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
The newer Lexus' are much sportier. I believe the IS outperformed the 3 series in a handling test. I don't remember the specifics, but it's out there somewhere.

BMW's have lost their "ultimate driving machine" moto, the newer Beamers are not close to what they used to be.

What you say about BMW is true from MY2012 up. All their engines are turbocharged and their chassis (with few exceptions) have gone soft.

What you say about the Lexus IS is true as of MY2014. And if we're thinking of the same comparison, it wasn't a "handling test" but rather the overall impression of being fun to drive. That's an important distinction, as the total experience is what really counts.

Prior to those dates, comparing any Lexus to its BMW counterpart was like comparing a sensory deprivation tank to an amusement park, for better and for worse (depending on what you want).

In the 1999-2006 model year range that the OP is looking at, BMW was in its prime, and Lexus was nowhere on the map -- unless you wanted a completely sterile driving experience, in which case it was the other way around.

A BMW is like any other car in that some models are really good while others are best avoided.
As with any car, a properly maintained BMW can be a good choice.
One that's been negelected is likely to be more trouble than an Accord subjected to the same benign neglect.
Buy the best that you can find and afford and educate yourself as to what breaks and how to fix it and you should have a pleasant BMW ownership experience.
There are a number of BMW boards out there.
Join a couple and take advantage of the experience of those who've owned them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back