Castrol Edge 5-20 7K OCI 08 Mustang higher wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driven WOT on the autobahn regularly (once a week) about 2 OCI's ago (including this one). During this OCI, this daily driver does about 6 miles to/from work in about 15 mins of stop and go. I'm not super hard on the gas, normally keep it under 3.5K. Every other week, I take her for a 30 minute trip. Used a FL820S in this OCI, the comment about the oil filter was what they thought about the Microgreen. I'm not sure about the higher than average wear metals. I'm not sure why the copper would be so high in a newer car? I'm not super alarmed, as I've seen UOA's with cars in the 90's of PPM for wear metals, but I'm concerned. Since this is only one UOA and doesn't show a trend yet, I think I'll sleep at night. I'll do another at 10K and post. I wanted your knowledgeable opinions on what is up. Thanks!

This was OCI was Edge Black Bottle.

Last edited:
Doesn't look any worse than any Gm uoa I've seen. Copper could be oil cooler, iron is probably normal for these type of engines. Too many people freak out if you have double digit wear metals but it's probably fine.

How can anyone even call iron an issue when this is the only used oil analysis to go from.

Who says that those numbers aren't normal for this particular engine. No 2 engines are the same so until more data is acquired there is no point in getting concerned.
Acquire more data.

I'm not so concerned about the Fe. The copper, I have no idea. No oil Cooler.

Originally Posted By: Timo325
I'm not so concerned about the Fe. The copper, I have no idea. No oil Cooler.

Well it has bi-metal bearings, so it isn't from the bearings either. I don't think we've ever found out where the copper comes from in some of the Modular UOA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back