Does anybody clean there oil filters ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is something I have never practiced before, until today. I will be changing the oil on both cars in my sig in the next 300 miles or so. I have some M1 HM 5w30 for the Uplander, and M1 AFE 0w20 for the Accord along with two Fram Ultra's, one for each car. I examined the oil filters as usual (got them off Amazon this time). The XG 7317 looked ok, but the XG 3387a for the Uplander had some oily substance with black particles on the mounting plate. The oil is alright as I am sure they spray the base plate with oil before packaging. However, those black specs should have not been there. So today I cleaned both filters with a Q tip and some isopropyl alcohol. You would be surprised how much dark crud came off of both! This is something I will do from here on out.

Fram filters always seem to be a bit dirtier than others. If it looks very dirty ill wipe it off, but that's about it.

I don't buy ac delco oil filters for probably 7 or 8 years now. I used to take a rag and wipe the filter threads. I would find fine metal particles from the delco filters. This happened 3 times and I was done with them.

since this is BITOG, I will ask this, am I weird to think you guys are overly obsessive about the weirdest little things?

After rebuilding my engines and them not burning oil anymore, I'm confident that that as long as I put some name brand synthetics in there, not only am I not touching the oil for 10k, I'm not gonna be doing weird things like this...

I love BITOG, but there are actually a lot of really weird people on here, I'm glad you guys exist and overly maintain your vehicle enough to bring down the cost of vehicle maintenance.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
since this is BITOG, I will ask this, am I weird to think you guys are overly obsessive about the weirdest little things?

It's the essence of BITOG.

Probably the largest concentration of OCD individuals I have seen on any internet forum.

BITOCDG.

I partake but I only put a paper towel over my finger to clean the metal bits out of the threads in the base plate.

Oh, and it is only the NORMAL people that make things "weird" btw...
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Dont clean the filters until your ready to put it on, I'm guessing the film protects from surface rust if in storage.

Good point. It will be in my closet for another month or so, will it be ok? Or should I spritz it with some oil?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Mine go in the dishwasher first on the cycle for "pots and pans". I use Cascade Oil Filter Cleaner. They come out sparkly clean.

Cascade is some nasty stuff. I drop my filters off at the dry cleaners.

Mine go in the dishwasher first on the cycle for "pots and pans". I use Cascade Oil Filter Cleaner. They come out sparkly clean.

Oh! never thought of that, just make sure to dry it out before installation. Wouldnt want the excess water getting into the oil.

Kidding of course.

No doubt, this is where the "detergent" comes into play for "detergent motor oil."

I can remember a fellow in Bitog land some time back who rinsed his new filters with gasoline prior to instillation. He even showed pictures of metal shavings that were washed out with the gas. Anyone else remember that?

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy

No doubt, this is where the "detergent" comes into play for "detergent motor oil."

I can remember a fellow in Bitog land some time back who rinsed his new filters with gasoline prior to instillation. He even showed pictures of metal shavings that were washed out with the gas. Anyone else remember that?

That can't be good.

Originally Posted By: Falken
BITOCDG.

I partake but I only put a paper towel over my finger to clean the metal bits out of the threads in the base plate.

Oh, and it is only the NORMAL people that make things "weird" btw...
smile.gif

I do that as well, and i always see a bit of gray powder on the towel. I don't know if its metal , but i want it gone before i install.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Cascade is some nasty stuff. I drop my filters off at the dry cleaners.

I prefer Woolite. It's gentler on the filter media.

I always inspect and clean the threads and base plate, and sometimes ever remove the base gasket and clean it and the groove in the base plate. Also look inside the center tube with a good flashlight to make sure there isn't and debris down in the center tube.

Meh, after I put 200K on a car I bought with 150 K on it already. I used cheap 20w50 because that is spec.STP filters or Auto Zone's previous filter brand. I oil the seal, spin the old one out by hand and run the new one in. I haven't havent had an oil related failure in recent history. You guys are way over thinking the oil change ritual.

Clean it with Marvel Mystery Oil or PB Blaster before the suck and blow test and it will smell good too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back