Motorcycle purchase advice (08 HD Softail)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been toying with the idea if getting a motorcycle. It will be for pleasure only. I really lke the Harley softail customs. I had a bike for a short time while I was younger a honda 750 but truely didnt ride it much was more into cars at the time. My concern is the weight of the bike. I am 6' about 185 . What are your thoughts bad idea for a first bike.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/301323223985?item=301323223985&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466

Last edited by a moderator:
This bike is on ebay, is it close enough that you can sit on it check it out? I would not buy a bike i could not ride first.

Its not a bad bike and the weight isn't bad, my road king weighs 800 lbs and the weight isn't a problem.
The bigger touring frame bikes are actually easier to ride.
I think if you look around you can find a better price.

So, what is the wet weight of the bike?

There are some questions that you need to ask yourself... What is your physical condition? How old are you? Bad back? Bad knees? Bad shoulders?

Taken an MSF certified Rider Course lately? That's one of the best things that a returning rider can do, before throwing a leg back over a motorcycle.

It is generally a bad idea to jump back into riding with a motorcycle that is too big... and statistics tend to prove that. Riding a motorcycle involves enough risk the way it is... add a motorcycle that a rider can't handle, and it only gets worse.

There's a number of variables here only you can answer.

Go take the MSF course before you decide what you want to buy.

My advice (As a 46 year rider) is to get a smaller bike to learn on. And a used, "Predropped" bike is the best idea. Something less than 500lbs. Lots of relatively new bikes for sale used, with silly low miles. Mostly because most people that think they want to ride loose interest. Most used bikes can be resold after you spend your apprenticeship without costing much at all.

When you have put a few thousand miles on that (Or not) you can decide what you really want to do. As with so many things, doing your homework, spending some time working your way up, will save you money and pain, in the long run.

Originally Posted By: raaizin
I have been toying with the idea if getting a motorcycle. It will be for pleasure only. I really lke the Harley softail customs. I had a bike for a short time while I was younger a honda 750 but truely didnt ride it much was more into cars at the time. My concern is the weight of the bike. I am 6' about 185 . What are your thoughts bad idea for a first bike.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/301323223985?item=301323223985&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466

A softtail is a fine bike to learn on , low and easy to touch the ground with. Many riders start out on them , its a well balanced ride
Jake

A friend of mine rides a heritage softtail and is 5'5" tall and weighs 120 lbs. She loves hers.

do yourself a favor + try a Victory motorcycle. my 2013 Hammer although heavier than my traded 06 sportster feels + rides lighter by design. harley's look good but have some of the worse brakes + suspension for their price range. even my lowly 2012 triumph bought new put my traded sportster to shame. test rode a new 13 dyna super glide my favorite harley for looks, same poor brakes + suspension then tested + bought the Victory! before you spend get a license + try some bikes, the new Victory Gunner is moderately priced + roomy, that breakout sells for 18,600 new! the single disc = poor braking + big front tire-wheel will not handle easily, but it looks good which sells harleys as well as the i got a harley "thing" good hunting + safe riding whatever you buy

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: benjy
do yourself a favor + try a Victory motorcycle. my 2013 Hammer although heavier than my traded 06 sportster feels + rides lighter by design. harley's look good but have some of the worse brakes + suspension for their price range. even my lowly 2012 triumph bought new put my traded sportster to shame. test rode a new 13 dyna super glide my favorite harley for looks, same poor brakes + suspension then tested

I'm not a Harley guy but I read the Michigan State, Arizona State, California State Police test for bikes. The Harley had the best brakes between BMW, Kawasaki, Victory. Are they putting different brakes on the COP Harley ?

I'm 5'8"....weigh approx 170 to 175 and ride a 2011 Hetitage Softail. The bike has curb weight of approx 750 pounds and the only problem I have is pushing it backwards while sitting on it. This is on grass mind you and a not so smooth yard.

I have been reading about the virtues of owning a HD touring machine so I went to the local HD dealer and tried out a Roadking. Supposedly the holy grail of HD touring machines, from what I have read. That bike was extremely top heavy in my opinion. My Softail is nothing like it in trying to upright it off the side stand.

Go try out an Indian Scout. Lighter, better power to weight ratio, liquid cooled, better brakes and a list price of $11k brand new.

Originally Posted By: FastGame
Originally Posted By: benjy
do yourself a favor + try a Victory motorcycle. my 2013 Hammer although heavier than my traded 06 sportster feels + rides lighter by design. harley's look good but have some of the worse brakes + suspension for their price range. even my lowly 2012 triumph bought new put my traded sportster to shame. test rode a new 13 dyna super glide my favorite harley for looks, same poor brakes + suspension then tested

I'm not a Harley guy but I read the Michigan State, Arizona State, California State Police test for bikes. The Harley had the best brakes between BMW, Kawasaki, Victory. Are they putting different brakes on the COP Harley ?

Police Harleys do have their own model number, loaded with many upgraded options for extended idling and pursuit.

Originally Posted By: 29662
Go try out an Indian Scout. Lighter, better power to weight ratio, liquid cooled, better brakes and a list price of $11k brand new.

I read a Motorcycle Consumer News article on the Scout last night at the newsstand. They were fairly critical of it. They said vibration was horrible.

But the op was asking about a Harley.

Originally Posted By: endeavor to persevere

I read a Motorcycle Consumer News article on the Scout last night at the newsstand. They were fairly critical of it. They said vibration was horrible.

But the op was asking about a Harley.

There is a whole thread here on the Scout, and I've actually ridden one. I wasn't impressed and the brakes were not very good IIRC...

I doubt there are very many folks cross shopping Scouts an Softails seriously. Also the weight is much lower on a Softail, I think it is a better first bike between a Scout and a STC IMO.

Last edited:
Sorry for any misinformation. I was just going off what a colleague had told me. He's a Harley owner but recently test drove a Scout about a month ago at a local Indian dealer event.

I'm a sport bike rider what do I know.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I think they are too short for tall riders?

confused.gif

I am 6'3/ 200lbs

I've ridden and owned all differnt sizes of bikes. My 400 was my favorite.

IMG.jpg

That's me on a Heritage Softail. Windscreen was kinda' pointless but the bike wasn't too short.

Softail.jpg

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I think they are too short for tall riders?

confused.gif

I am 6'3/ 200lbs

I've ridden and owned all differnt sizes of bikes. My 400 was my favorite.

IMG.jpg

That's me on a Heritage Softail. Windscreen was kinda' pointless but the bike wasn't too short.

Softail.jpg

Is that a bandit 400 in the first pic? I've been looking for one in decent shape for a while with no luck. Seems like a fun bike to play with. Oh well.

Is that a bandit 400 in the first pic? I've been looking for one in decent shape for a while with no luck. Seems like a fun bike to play with. Oh well.

A friend of mine got one this summer. Had a few carb problems to work out, he's now replacing chain, sprockets, tires, adjusting valves etc so it will only be in great shape next season, but still, he already likes that machine. I'm interested to see how it'll handle the twisties around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back