Wix 51334XP vs 51344 more media vs better media

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to the recent issues with the Purolator P1 in some Hondas (two torn PL14459 filters), and the spotty availability of the PSL14459, it would make anyone want to switch to Wix/Napa

The Wix filter for this application (or any that call for a 14459) is 51334 (aka Napa 1334)

However, Wix also makes an oversize filter 51344 (Napa 1344) that is said to have twice the media as the 1334's.

There is a 51334XP, but not 51344XP.Wix XP/Napa Platinum is the one designed for extended OCI beyond 10k.

So my question is, what would you prefer, more media, or high-end media? The classic quality vs quantity question.

The oversize filter is priced right in between the standard specified filter and its XP version.

Between the two, it's a no-brainer to go with the higher quality product -- there's just no need for the additional capacity of larger filter in the vast majority of applications.

Probably more media. 'First pass' is a bit overrated in a closed system, and more media means more flow and surface area to hold deposits.

Remember. Flow rate is just as important as filtration.

Any filter can produce a 10-20 micron filter but if they lose 1/2 the flow rate its not an improvement.

Why not both?

Fram ultra

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Remember. Flow rate is just as important as filtration.

Any filter can produce a 10-20 micron filter but if they lose 1/2 the flow rate its not an improvement.

Oil filters really don't cut oil flow to the engine unless under one operational scenario - when the oil pump is in pressure relief. That is because a positive displacement oil pump will force the same volume through the resistance (filter + engine flow path) until the max pressure output is reached at the pump's outlet. That doesn't even happen on most of the cars on the road until near red line with hot oil. I can just hit pump pressure relief with hot oil close to red line (6500 RPM).

Now if you were to rev the engine really high with stone cold oil then yes, the oil pump will hit pressure relief fast ... but who does that really. Or if you were racing on a road course and near red line a lot then a little less restrictive oil filter would help a little to give slightly more oil flow under those conditions if the pump actually hits pressure relief.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Oil filters really don't cut oil flow to the engine unless under one operational scenario - when the oil pump is in pressure relief.

You might be surprised. I can tell you that a Skyactiv OEM oil filter (Fram 6607 sized, sans ADBV), while a quality built unit, is very small and it's bypass valve pops off at IDLE (1200rpm) with 5w20 in the crankcase in a 75F 'cold' start. This is eliminated with a larger filter.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Oil filters really don't cut oil flow to the engine unless under one operational scenario - when the oil pump is in pressure relief.

You might be surprised. I can tell you that a Skyactiv OEM oil filter (Fram 6607 sized, sans ADBV), while a quality built unit, is very small and it's bypass valve pops off at IDLE (1200rpm) with 5w20 in the crankcase in a 75F 'cold' start. This is eliminated with a larger filter.

The filter's bypass valve, and the oil pump's pressure relief valve are two different mechanisms that operate independently.

If the oil filter goes into bypass, and the oil pump is not in pressure relief, then the oil flow volume going to the engine is still the same.

How do you really know the filter's bypass valve is opening under the conditions you described above? There is no way to tell unless you have a delta-p sensor setup across the oil filter.

If you have the room, a Baldwin B202 is a very good filter. I run that filter for 15k miles on my '06 S2000. I have over 110k miles on my S2000 and I cut open every oil filter that I take off of it. Have not found any tears in any of the Baldwin's I've used on the S2000(or any of my other cars, truck, motorhome or motorcycle's). Baldwin is a good tough filter.

ROD

Are BITOGers still giving the Wix XP (and Napa Platinum) a thumbs down based on beta figures?

Originally Posted By: pbm
Are BITOGers still giving the Wix XP (and Napa Platinum) a thumbs down based on beta figures?

Not me, at least. I like them, but they just need to go on sale more often!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back