Oil for tired '98 5.7 vortec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://lubematch.shell.co.uk/us/en_US/equipment/suburban_k1500_5_7_4wd_suburban_EFt8Pk0ZD

Stick with the recommended oil bud.

I wouldn't mix oils, you only end up unbalancing the additive package which will lower the oils performance.

Ideally you need to get the actual oil pressure data from Chevrolet. Can you/do you have an oil pressure gauge that you can screw into the oil pressure switch/sensor hole and check to see what your actual oil pressure is?

Last edited:
I just found this data online

Minimum oil pressure at normal operating temperature for a 2000 GM 5.7 liter engine:
6 p.s.i. @ 1000 RPM
18 p.s.i. @ 2000 RPM
24 p.s.i. @ 4000 RPM

Sounds like your engine is in fine health!!

This engine is bulletproof and will run on just about anything. I have owned a few but I would recommend just staying in the 5-30 range of whatever you want. The thing will not know the difference between Super Tech and high end boutique oils. I have played with all different weight (5-30 up to 20-50 and everything in between) oils and brands and still driving my 98 5.7 daily.

Got the new heater core in. Not too bad of a job; didn't have to pull the dash
smile.gif

Bought a jug of Rotella T6 5W-40. Going to the dark side.....

Pic of the old girl...

Last edited:
Nice looking truck! I also have a 98 chevy with the 5.7L that I bought new. I only have 127,000 miles on mine and run 5W-30 Pennzoil HM in it all year long.

My oil pressure runs about 40-45 psi hot going down the road and about 20-25 psi at a hot idle in gear. I think your pressure is fine.

I have a friend at work that also has a 98 with this engine and he has around 350,000 miles on the original engine and it's still going strong. Another friend just sold his 96 that I believe he bought new with over 250,000 miles on it and it was still running fine.

These are durable engines. You just need to stay on top of the intake manifold gasket issues because that is one of its weak points. I've had three gaskets installed in mine in the time I've owned it. If you notice that your coolant overflow tank starts losing coolant, you need to check it out.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: 94 saturn sl1 2000 saturn sc2
Oil pressure reading sounds like you have a high volume oil pump. I had a 92 pickup with one of those and the pressure readings were exactly what you have. Low pressure= high volume

Uhhhhh what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back