Detail spray question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used detail spray as a lube with clay bars for some years now but never as a stand alone operation. I could not bring myself to wipe my truck without first rinsing, even though there was just light dust on it. Am I wrong in doing a rinse off prior to detail spray use?

Always have a clean vehicle before using any spray detail product! Never just spray on/wipe off! Let your eyes and gut be your guide!

There are some spray on/wipe off cleaners(car wash) on the market that are also a "detail" type product as well but, these products are a different chemistry with special lubricants that help the dirt slide and not scratch the paint. Different subject!

For claying your vehicle yes, detail sprays are good but so is soapy water, which is all I use!

Last edited:
Only use Quick Detailers (stand-alone) on very, very light dust without rinsing. Example: a garaged car that was just washed a day or two before, but not driven since its wash.

Pledge Furniture Polish. At the Pebble Beach Concourse I saw a guy wrapping a can of Pledge with masking tape at a large tool box in the staging area, and then using the Pledge to detail a 1933 Chrysler Imperial out on the lawn that won a best in class trophy the next day. I asked him about it and he said that in the past his friends had made fun of him and his Pledge and that's the reason for the tape. He did say that several of his friends here at the concourse also use Pledge wrapped in masking tape. Now that I've exposed his secret you too can laugh because there are always people that are willing to tell you that what you're doing is wrong.

Thanks guys. I got the Mothers Clay Kit several years ago. That's where the detail spray came from. Nowadays I use a concentrated car wash spray and a nanoskin to prep for waxing.

Originally Posted By: Bear
Thanks guys. I got the Mothers Clay Kit several years ago. That's where the detail spray came from. Nowadays I use a concentrated car wash spray and a nanoskin to prep for waxing.

Mothers Showtime is awesome, I love that stuff! I would say be a little wary of using anything that's not super-lubricating with the nanoskin. It doesn't hold dirt like clay does and can mar your paint if not using a really slick product.

I also only use it for clay lube, or the occasional bird bomb. I don't get the point in spraying a whole car as a gloss enhancer, etc. Use AquaWax or another spray wax if you want some shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back