Snow severe service rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So some AT tires come with the severe service Mountain on the snowflake rating and some do not. How much of a difference will it make in an AT tire? Also if it cost big $ for a tire company to have this test on a new design tire do you think some tire manufactures would forgo this testing to keep the tire cost low it must add to the cost of every tire sold that has the approval?

"In 1999, the U.S. Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA) and the Rubber Association of Canada (RAC) agreed on a performance based standard to identify passenger and light truck tires that attain a traction index equal to, or greater than 110 (compared to a reference tire which is rated 100) during the specified American Society for Testing and Materials traction tests on packed snow."

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/choose-the...l-terrain-tires

I think the "cost" of certification is a nonconcern and a red herring.
It means that tire is a snow tire, versus a M+S tire.

You are not going to find "snow" tires that don't have the snowflake rating where they're passing on the certification savings to you the consumer

Last edited:
AT3's on my truck are not mountain snowflake and did fantastic over their first winter. No apples to apples comparision as the only other trucm i had with mountain snowflake tires was an f250 with rather worn 285/75r16 bfg at's.

The snow flake is an indication of how a tire will work in an extreme cold environment.

Some people believe the snowflake symbol is a requirement for winter driving on British Columbia's mountain passes.

The "snow flake" is suggested. but not required.

The ultimate for traction and stopping is the snow flake plus studs.

The ultimate deep snow tire for a light truck is Bandag's BDRW.

Because of the heavy tread associated with winter tires, the speed rating will be lower

than the same constructed tire with a lighter summer tread.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
So some AT tires come with the severe service Mountain on the snowflake rating and some do not. How much of a difference will it make in an AT tire? Also if it cost big $ for a tire company to have this test on a new design tire do you think some tire manufactures would forgo this testing to keep the tire cost low it must add to the cost of every tire sold that has the approval?

The last I heard was that the Canadian government - the ones that pushed the RMA into developing the Mountain/Snowflake test - are objecting to the use of the symbol on regular All Season and All Terrain tires. They wanted the test for Winter tires - and Winter tires only.

The Canadian Government went so far as to propose an extension of the symbol to indicate ice traction rating in steps - that is, improved traction in both ice and snow. They ran into technical issues and abandoned the idea.

The RMA told Canada that they could NOT regulate where the symbol was used, but that they could suggest to its members that they refrain from using the symbol except for winter tires - and many are doing so, but apparently not all.

So I would NOT take exception to an All Terrain tire having or not having the symbol. I suspect that pretty much all AT tires will pass the test. It's not a really high bar.

I thought there were some mud specific tires that aren't necessarily suitable for driving in winter conditions. It's not really supposed to be an indicator of performance outside of winter temps and snow/ice.

Mud and off-road tires that have a hard compound, blocky treads and large voids are a disaster for winter driving for the opposite reason that softer coumpound tires that are syped are better.

Syped winter tires are a disaster on gravel roads because sand and stones work their way into the tread and either wear the tire out preternaturally or ruin it altogether by "stone drilling".

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
I thought there were some mud specific tires that aren't necessarily suitable for driving in winter conditions. It's not really supposed to be an indicator of performance outside of winter temps and snow/ice.

Because snow traction is mostly about edges, it doesn't take much to pass the Mouintai9n snow flake test. Pretty much ANY All Terrain tire will pass.

Oh, and they conduct the test on snow against a control, so it's cold enough.

But you are right. Many tires aren't designed for use in winter conditions, but that doesn't mean they won't pass the test.

And - Yes! - many tires that pass the test don't perform well under certain conditions. The fact that "Ice Tires" and "Snow Tires" are different is an indication that there isn't one tires that will be optimal for ALL winter conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back