New Jersey Gun Buy Back Program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
"Each weapon collected in Camden cost the state of New Jersey $250 at most. In all, the state spent $156,000, none of which was directly borne by taxpayers.

That may be what they say, and I hope that it's true. They also say that fuel taxes get spent only on transportation projects, and that's more often than not what's really going on.

But as myself and others mentioned, it is often unwanted stuff, "Since the city pays $200 per gun, he claims most of the weapons the programs recover in Newark come from out-of-state residents looking to turn a profit, or older residents disposing of weapons long stowed away."

Exactly. And neither situation makes the streets of NJ (or any other state) safer. No criminal with a stolen Glock shows up at a buyback event. They use these weapons to carry out their activity; why would they get rid of them? Could this program reduce the number of personal weapons stolen during home invasions? Perhaps. I personally believe the answer to that is better firearm security, not turning them in.

I have to believe that we havent stooped quite so low as a society that massive armament and perpetual violence is the only solution here.

I don't see it as "stooping so low", but as "rising to the occasion". This country, not 250 years ago, was founded on the backs of armed people standing up for what they believed was right.

Wanting to have criminals not possess guns is fine. I'll bet the frontier Americans wanted England to just go away, too. I'm all about an idealistic society, where guns are used for shooting skeet instead of people. In just a cursory study of human history, though, I'm not sure we've EVER observed a period in time free of bloodshed. Maybe it'll happen one day.

Until it does, I'll be at home with my 12 gauge.

If NJ wants to buy grandpa's old Marlin or that 6-shooter cowboy gun in the closet and declare success, they can have at it.
wink.gif
Setting aside the issue of where the money comes from...regardless of where it comes from...I believe it can be spent in far better ways than buying dusty old .22s.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
When they get done with their buy-back there must be something else they can spend our tax dollars on. After all it's not their money.

I see where you read it was funded by criminal asset seizure and private donation.

Money that could be better spent somewhere else. But where there's a vote to be had, a photo op or a speech to be make about a success that did not happen a politician will step up to the plate. What we need is to measure these programs is some objective manner and look at other solutions that might be less glamorous but more effective. Illegal immigration would be a good start.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
"Each weapon collected in Camden cost the state of New Jersey $250 at most. In all, the state spent $156,000, none of which was directly borne by taxpayers.

That may be what they say, and I hope that it's true. They also say that fuel taxes get spent only on transportation projects, and that's more often than not what's really going on.

But as myself and others mentioned, it is often unwanted stuff, "Since the city pays $200 per gun, he claims most of the weapons the programs recover in Newark come from out-of-state residents looking to turn a profit, or older residents disposing of weapons long stowed away."

Exactly. And neither situation makes the streets of NJ (or any other state) safer. No criminal with a stolen Glock shows up at a buyback event. They use these weapons to carry out their activity; why would they get rid of them? Could this program reduce the number of personal weapons stolen during home invasions? Perhaps. I personally believe the answer to that is better firearm security, not turning them in.

I have to believe that we havent stooped quite so low as a society that massive armament and perpetual violence is the only solution here.

I don't see it as "stooping so low", but as "rising to the occasion". This country, not 250 years ago, was founded on the backs of armed people standing up for what they believed was right.

Wanting to have criminals not possess guns is fine. I'll bet the frontier Americans wanted England to just go away, too. I'm all about an idealistic society, where guns are used for shooting skeet instead of people. In just a cursory study of human history, though, I'm not sure we've EVER observed a period in time free of bloodshed. Maybe it'll happen one day.

Until it does, I'll be at home with my 12 gauge.

If NJ wants to buy grandpa's old Marlin or that 6-shooter cowboy gun in the closet and declare success, they can have at it.
wink.gif
Setting aside the issue of where the money comes from...regardless of where it comes from...I believe it can be spent in far better ways than buying dusty old .22s.

meh
..the. country was founded by smugglers who started getting pinched by the crown and some big slave traders out of New England. The guns were for hunting.

These things always seemed like a great way to have the government pay criminals to provide evidence .... so that it can be destroyed by the government....no questions asked???

I think at the bare minimum a buy back does get more guns that are not stored properly, out of circulation. So atleast kids can't find them and the old box of bullets in the closet and try to figure out how to work it.
Or some wannabe gang bangers mom can take his gun and dispose of it easily.
Yes, I know every member here locks their guns up and trains their kids on how to use them, but the reality is some people don't and perhaps $200 will get them off their [censored] and get rid of the gun atleast.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
meh..the country was founded by smugglers who started getting pinched by the crown and some big slave traders out of New England. The guns were for hunting.

Meh, your history books must have been drastically different from the ones I read in school. The country was founded by smugglers and slave traders? And guns were only for hunting? Interesting...

I seem to remember that just about every one of the founding fathers intended for guns to be in the hands of EVERY able bodied citizen so that tyranny in govt was checked. The fundamental right to have/own/possess arms in this country has nothing to do with "hunting" and everything to do with shooting officer unfriendly in the face when he and his gestapo friends attempt to drag you to the gas chamber because you are a Jew/christian/Muslim/whatever.

Gun buybacks are an epic failure. A feel good, joyous occasion for those that lack common sense. At least they feel like they "are doing something."

I once knew an avid gun collector that LOVED gun buybacks. He would buy broken/junk/rusted guns at gun shows and pawn shops for like $10-15 and then trade them in at gun buyback time for hundreds/thousands of dollars worth of cash and gift cards. Then he would use the proceeds to go buy more new guns to add to his collection.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I seem to remember that just about every one of the founding fathers intended for guns to be in the hands of EVERY able bodied citizen so that tyranny in govt was checked. The fundamental right to have/own/possess arms in this country has nothing to do with "hunting" and everything to do with shooting officer unfriendly in the face when he and his gestapo friends attempt to drag you to the gas chamber because you are a Jew/christian/Muslim/whatever.

Yep; our right to keep and bear arms wasn't written so that we can shoot quail on the weekends. No, it was based on a situation in England where King James II disarmed Protestants while extending the right to bear arms to Catholics. Our country wasn't founded by thugs; it was founded by those tired of being disarmed by thugs.

Thus, the right to keep and bear arms was #2 in our Bill of Rights, directly after our right to free speech. It's to protect ourselves, not only from each other (home defense), but to protect ourselves from our own government. It's increasingly clear that we're losing understanding today of what our Constitution really means (and the context around which it was written), but it's there nonetheless.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
[/quote]

meh
..the. country was founded by smugglers who started getting pinched by the crown and some big slave traders out of New England. The guns were for hunting.

I am a professor of American history. I can tell you that if you put down as an answer I would give you a big fat zero for points. Guns were used for hunting, but also as tools of defense against raiding parties on the frontier. The British crown did not like to invest in the defense of the colonists for the great part of colonial American history. They only did so when they had to because it was INSANELY expensive. This is evident because the French and Indian War/Seven Years War about bankrupted the British and they instituted all of those harsh economic measures in the colonies to make them pay back the motherland for their efforts in the earlier war. Those new and harsh policies made some people turn to a black market, but not all.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
bubbatime, that story warms the cockles of my heart.

Not quite sure what the cockles of ones heart are, but I also agree with bubbatime's post.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
Maybe some of Eric Holders guns will turn up.
whistle.gif

Mexican Cartel's selling them back to his security detail!

Thanks to all that posted.

Since i am a strict Constitutional conservative i favor those rights, as they were put there for a reason by some VERY smart folks who knew how things change.

No matter what there will be guns, and they are NOT just for hunting!

The love of your country does not mean the love of your government!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I'd go one step further, the love of your country means you have a healthy mistrust of your government.

It's been reported that during previous buybacks, gun collectors showed up in the parking lot with lots of cash. If they saw something they liked, then offering a $50 premium (or more) over what the cops were paying got the collector the on-the-spot sale...

Still accomplished what the buyback folks wanted, right? They wanted those guns "off the streets"...and now, they are off the streets, and safely kept by a law-abiding citizen....all good, right?

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I'd go one step further, the love of your country means you have a healthy mistrust of your government.

Everything I have seen supports you on that. Not too many trustworthy folks are involved in our higher levels of government...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back