Still Puzzled on Aircooled VW Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a 1960 bug and a 1965 Squareback. I ran 30 weight in the summer and 10 or 20 in the winter, depending on tempeture. Today I'd run 5w30 all year. Ed I feel there is no need to run anything heaver than a 30 except in the desert or for trailer pulling.

Deli/rotella 10w-30 OR 15w-40. No need for any frankenmixes. The 15w-40 is easier to find in most cases but both have the better ingredients for flt tapper cams. You may consider putting a full flow filter on it.

I've owned more than a dozen VW bus's and use Delo 15w-40 with a Frantz filter on the oil and the gas because of frequent trips into Mexico and the local desert. The schedule we followed in those days was to change the toilet paper every 2-3K miles and the oil once a year. The oil always looked clean and on several of these engines that we tore down they looked like new inside after lots of miles including some really terrible roads down south. Remember that you need a good air filter, too. Stick with treated paper elements, the bigger the better. We got the Delo oil in 5 gallons cans from a guy that serviced tractors and other equipment at job sites. They used that same oil in everything.

Don't forget to check and adjust the valves every 3K miles plus or so. Especially in hot climates.

I ran straight weight 30 detergent oil or 20W-50.

Oils are better now than used in the 1600 1971 I had. Changed the oil and cleaned the strainer every 1500 miles. That was back then.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Ok so seeing as how there's lots of recommendations on here for a 40 weight and lots for a 50 weight on other sites, would I have any benefit mixing half my 10w40 MaxLife with some 20w50 Castrol GTX and make some custom 15w45?

Nah, do 40W one OCI, 50W the next, and alternate. Averages out the same.

My friend uses PYB 20w-50 dosed with a bit of extra ZDDP to get 1400ppm. Changes it every 1500, cleans the screen every 3k along with a valve adjustment. Purrs like a kitten

No filter = find something you like and change it often.

Like in my '31 Model A.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
IIRC, Doug Hillary had an SAE 30 recommendation for these (will try and dig it up).

I recall that, too. I generally dislike monogrades, but obviously in this application and climate, there is sound reasoning behind such a recommendation, and it's probably the best recommendation out there.

It might be worthwhile to get clarification on the type of SAE 30. Perhaps a dual rated SAE 30 might be preferred over some of the SN only SAE 30s available.

Hi,
Nick1994,

Yes, I do recommend a mineral SAE30, please read the Motul recommendation in riggaz's earlier post

Its good practice to clean the oil pump screen at every OC - very easy to do too, just use a new gasket each time!

Last edited:
maybe this was already asked an i missed it, but just asking the question ...

what about a 10w-30 or 10w-40 HDEO like Mystik JT8 or Rotella T5?

wouldn't the emulsifying properties of an oil like this be of benefit to an engine design with limited filtering capabilities? These are supposed to be very rugged oils for HD engines, would they not hold up well to an air cooled (oil cooled) engine?

as i said, just asking....

Last edited:
If its had a filter the Mobil 1 15w50 would be a nice choice, but you won't be able to take advantage of the synthetic long drain capabilities. Doesn't someone make a filter kit for these?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back