Suspension Bushing Adapter Set for Press

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks,

I have been getting a lot of cars lately that need new suspension bushings.

While I do have a hydraulic press, I do not have the right adapters to press out these bushings.

Can anyone direct me to a suspension bushing adapter set that I can purchase?

Thanks

You're pretty picky about stuff, so I doubt you'll be pleased with a "set" of tools. I gradually accumulated a bunch of Volvo bushing installation tools from past cars I've owned. Looking at the shape of many of those bushings, it's hard to imagine a generic tool working all that well. Considering the fact that more and more bushings aren't serviceable, it's likely you'll just end up servicing specific models. So, picking up the specific tools as-needed may be the best way to go.

I use the ball joint adapters that came with the OTC set and i bought a few others. I also made a few to fit what i need.
I have all sorts of adapters and cups, hardened threaded rod, even an old spring compressor bolt that i accumulated over the years.
Iron pipe, old bearing races and even plastic pipe (works fantastic on LCA bushing that don't use metal sleeves).

I do like that Schley tool, if you are going to do enough work to justify the investment then bite the bullet.
Be aware that many of the control arms and trailing arms will still need to be removed from the car to gain access then a shop press is the easier way to go anyway.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I use the ball joint adapters that came with the OTC set and i bought a few others. I also made a few to fit what i need.
I have all sorts of adapters and cups, hardened threaded rod, even an old spring compressor bolt that i accumulated over the years.
Iron pipe, old bearing races and even plastic pipe (works fantastic on LCA bushing that don't use metal sleeves).

I do like that Schley tool, if you are going to do enough work to justify the investment then bite the bullet.
Be aware that many of the control arms and trailing arms will still need to be removed from the car to gain access then a shop press is the easier way to go anyway.

Thanks Trav.

I prefer manufacturer specific tools. I've bought a couple of Kent-Moore tools for my Buick and they're awesome. Some of the other tools I've bought were from OTC.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Thanks folks.

It seems like the bushing driver set and picking up specialty ones (as I go along) is the easiest way to go about doing this.

The only "catch all" solution that I am seeing is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky0wVGO5Tzc
http://thetoolwarehouse.net/p-86104-schley-products-11100.aspx

With that said, I am a bit hesitant to spend $500 on a set that I've seen few reviews about. Trav?

I'll keep researching. Thanks folks!

I wonder if it is cheaper to buy some thick walled tubing/pipe and have a machine shop turn them on a lathe to the size you require?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back