Factory battery insulator / blanket

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Ram truck came from the factory with an insulator / blanket type cover around and over the battery. This isn't a powered/heater type blanket. Just some insulation.

Do you think that this actually has any benefit or importance on the battery? Is it really going to help keep it warm, or cool, or whatever it is supposed to be doing?

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
My Ram truck came from the factory with an insulator / blanket type cover around and over the battery. This isn't a powered/heater type blanket. Just some insulation.

Do you think that this actually has any benefit or importance on the battery? Is it really going to help keep it warm, or cool, or whatever it is supposed to be doing?

I have always been under the impression that was to insulate he battery from under hood heat.
Have I been wrong all these years?

Originally Posted By: Charlie1935

I have always been under the impression that was to insulate he battery from under hood heat.

yes heat protection

Chrysler in the 70s used to use a plastic shield over the battery,with thin insulation inside,it was called the BATTERY THERMO GUARD.Was for heat,due to the smaller engine compartments and higher heat levels of emission control vehicles.GM used a tight foam wrap in the 2000s for the same reason.

I had 3 Chrysler mini vans, 96,98 and a 99. The 96 and 98 were built for Toronto's climate with no insulating wrap. The 99 had California emissions and came with a non powered insulating bubble wrap.

That GM parts direct price for a warmer is a very good deal. I've used a similar product but came to the conclusion it wasn't necessary for my type of driving and climate. A cold battery [0 degrees F or less] does not accept a charge for the first 10 minutes of driving. What can happen is, two weeks of cold weather with short trips to the store and a good battery goes dead. Many a good battery have been replaced for no good reason.

Originally Posted By: Charlie1935

It may be. The battery is nowhere near any heat sources. In fact, the entire underhood stays pretty cool.

I was told they were used to soak up acid in case of a battery failure.

Mom once had a car that suffered numerous dead batteries, due to scorching underhood heat. I don't think a battery wrapper would have helped.

Usually a acid leak is going to sit on the battery tray. A insulator around the battery will not help that much. Plus, how many batteries are leaking acid all over?

Anyway, I re-installed mine just because it is there. I just don't know if there is really a use for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back