Amsoil interceptor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's the story on this stuff? I have heard a lot if good and bad about interceptor.
I have read complaints about it not protecting or sticking to critical parts and rusting out crankshaft bearings.
I have heard it burns clean and doesn't gunk up power valves.
I just bought a 2002 ktm sx125 and I have been using amsoil interceptor mixed at 40.1.
Should I be using the amsoil dominator on this bike? I'm not at wide open throttle all the time, but I do take it to the track and ride it pretty hard and I ride it pretty hard on trails in the mountains. I just figured interceptor would be ok for me since im not racing it 24-7 and I do ride it slow occasionally when giving my kids a ride on it and my fiancé rides it somewhat slow too.
So what do you think? Is interceptor ok for this bike or would dominator be better?

Last edited:
I would say you are using the correct oil. My guess it the Dominator has a more robust ZDDP package for racing, which is fine either way in your 2 stroke. Both are about the best money can buy.

The Interceptor is probably already more stout than most any over the counter stuff.

I really do not know. I just googled amsoil interceptor so I could read what some people thought about it and I seen that more then once.
People said they were running amsoil interceptor and when they tore thier engines apart to do a top end that crankshaft bearings would have a rust like paste caked on them.

The cranks run very "dry" with Interceptor. Not a good oil to leave in for storage. Seen many rusty cranks with the synthetic 2 stroke oils

Still seems like there would be some coating that would prevent rust...just me thinking out loud. Sounds like im wrong but just doesn't make sense.

Interceptor is a FANTASTIC 2-cycle oil which power sport enthousists have been using for yearam its great stuff if it fits your engine. Dominator is excellent also, but its more designed for racing engines and probably not the best option for using in an engine that gets normal use and isn't torn down and rebuilt all of the time like a racing engine would.

I've uses interceptor in many madified and stock 2-cycle engines and have had a problem. It burns clean enough for stock applications and provides plenty of protection with modified engines.

Use it with confidence if it meets the needs of your toys.

Well like I said I ride the bike pretty hard when I'm on it by myself, but I also give my kids rides for 15 to 30 minutes at a time and while I'm giving them a ride I'm just putting around and my fiancée rides it for 30 to 45 min at a time and she doesn't really get on it hard ether. So basically it sees both, it gets ridden hard when I'm on it by myself and it gets ridden soft when the kids are on it and when my fiancée is on it.
If the interceptor is good enough to protect it when I'm on it then I'm ok with using it, if the dominator would protect it even better then intercepror when I'm on it then I'd be more then happy to switch over to dominator. I have easy access to both interceptor and dominator and the price is basically the same, so you tell me should I continue to use interceptor or make a switch to dominator?

Last edited:
I would personally stick with the Interceptor. It is a proven product that people run in their highly modified engines without any issues. My last bike had the porting modified and just about everything else you could do with it and it ran like a raped ape. The only thing it ever saw after being built was the Interceptor oil and it was flawless. I just personally feel like the Dominator is overkill for your bike and could do more harm than good with the deposits and heavier additives.

Ok I will stick with interceptor mixed at 40.1.
It just made me skeptical of it when I read a lot of people saying it doesn't protect as well as other oils. And that it rusts out crankshaft bearings.
How should I store the bike to avoid this?

Originally Posted By: pjc360
Ok I will stick with interceptor mixed at 40.1.
It just made me skeptical of it when I read a lot of people saying it doesn't protect as well as other oils. And that it rusts out crankshaft bearings.
How should I store the bike to avoid this?

Fog the engine with conventional oil to protect against rust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back