Cranking problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
After several hours of not driving my car will crank about 3-4 times and start slowly. I don't think it has anything to do with the fuel pump because I make sure wait 3 seconds when the ignition is on. I'm thinking it could be the battery, but the mechanic I bought it from told me he put in a new battery
mad.gif
.. I also measured the voltage of the battery and it read 12.7v. Any thoughts?

Depends what you mean by "start slowly". Does it crank fast but just fail to start or does the engine turn over slowly when the starter is engaged?

If it turns over quickly but just fails to start, it's not the battery or starter. If it turns over slowly, the batter could be bad or the starter, or connections, wires etc.

Last edited:
You have to give us more info. I take it it cranks at less than normal speed? If so, measure the battery voltage while it is cranking the engine and let us know. We will take it from there.

if you bought the car off a mechanic.. this particular mechanic could be unreliable.

also 2005 sebring is a sludger motor (IIRC)
and that is the car in question.

Sounds like a low voltage issue.

I agree with 901Memphis about having the starter motor, cables, and battery tested.

Ok so this morning it was fairly warmer than most other days and it started up perfectly fine. I'm guessing the battery is low on CCA. Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back