what do you guy think of these 12v combo kits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you are always better off using corded power tools. Since I am not normally in the habit of using power tools during power outages, I fail to see any advantages to cordless tools.

425 inch-lb; that is quite low for a 12V impact driver. Even lowly Craftsman Nextec had better torque ratings.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
425 inch-lb; that is quite low for a 12V impact driver. Even lowly Craftsman Nextec had better torque ratings.

My 18V drill has more torque than that...
I find my cordless drill is indispensable, but the weak impact drivers, circ saws, etc, don't really appeal to me. I have a half decent hand saw, and lights, the odd time a cordless dremel would be good but it probably wouldn't be handy with a big battery pack hanging off of it.

I recently purchased a Bosch 12V Lithium drill driver and I find myself grabbing that much more often than the 18V unit. It's much lighter, yet more than powerful enough for around the house use.

I would agree with Donald though, I wouldn't pick a tool without considering the other tool options that use the same battery.

Advantages of a cordless??? How about not being attached to the wall while your working?

I think 425 inch lb is plenty for most jobs, i guess you would need to look at the intended purpose before buying it.

I can also see the advantage of a lighter tool; much easier to handle and control.

Bunch of us picked the following for around $30; it was a heck of a deal. This delivers 700 inch-lb of torque. The only thing which I do not like: it is pretty impossible to control the variable trigger and the direction switch is too easy to accidentally reverse it.

http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-9-17562-Nextec-12-volt-Right-Angle/dp/B00436U5GG

41aLJjDQuXL.jpg

I'm starting to think that of the 12v stuff, Milwaukee is probably the best bet, based upon tool availability.

I did buy an electic scope a few years back, and it came as a kit with two batteries. I realized I had them, so bought an led flashlight so I could make use of the batteries. I then just bought a 3/8" impact.

The dumbest thing is that I have a bosch with the identical looking battery, and they aren't interchangeable.

the reason i am considering these is the size. my current drill is huge as is my impact. most of the time they are overkill for most stuff like hanging a picture etc.

i was watching this old house and noticed that the old contractor guy seemed to use his little one often

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Advantages of a cordless??? How about not being attached to the wall while your working?

That's what extension cords are for.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
i was watching this old house and noticed that the old contractor guy seemed to use his little one often

Smaller stuff is very handy.

Some people must have biggest... be it # of cylinders, HP, perhaps Amps on a power tool, etc. But that can also be inefficient and more difficult.

For example, I prefer to use 1/4" drive as much as possible when wrenching. Its smaller, lighter, more manuverable. I used to turn a blind eye to 1/4" drive, thinking bigger is better. Now I think efficiency is better.

There certainly is a time and place for more power, but smaller and lighter can be a major advantage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back