Serpentine belt noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one on my truck is four years old, 88kmiles. Suspect original. It's possible that it has been fogged with Fluid Film once or twice, not hosed down but perhaps fogged.

I seem to have a power steering noise, but not at low speed/stopped. Only at 15mph plus or so. I'd think the load was heaviest at idle, which is where it should make noise? No noise at startup, either. Could this be the belt or something else? Power steering fluid level seems normal.

No, and I'm starting to think I really ought to get one, as it might help with debugging that noise on the Jetta. That said, this power steering noise seems to only be when I'm moving. You think it might make noise at idle, just not super loud?

I'd get a new belt and then give everything a spin while you have the belt off.
I did the belt, idler, and tensioner, on the Tracker and still had a funny noise, had a guy even look at the timing chain... Then one day the thermo clutch kicked while I was poking around and the noise went away. I could repeat the noise disappearance with some card board, so I got a new clutch and its sounds as good as it can...

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Betcha it's a bearing in the tensioner/ idler.

Hmm, now that you mention it, I think I heard a bearing noise on cold mornings last winter. Thought it could be the tensioner but didn't think too much of it; and it went away when the cold weather went away. I like Indy's response, I'll just have to spin stuff when I get a new belt.

When you get a belt, I suggest Bando (or possibly GY Gatorback).

I have had no success with other brand belts in Toyota engines - ungodly squeal I try diagnose (Start up or like you describe, higher rpm). Switching to OE belt (bando) fixes it. Napa usually has Bando for most applications very reasonably priced.

I recommend getting an automotive stethoscope and use it one every part driven by the belt. Since you say the sound changes with RPM, have someone rev up the engine as you test things with the stethoscope.

Originally Posted By: supton
No, and I'm starting to think I really ought to get one, as it might help with debugging that noise on the Jetta. That said, this power steering noise seems to only be when I'm moving. You think it might make noise at idle, just not super loud?

If you have a long screwdriver it will work just as good as a stethoscope, so no need to buy one.
Just be careful and dont let the fan hit you.

"Power steering pump noise" could be a misdiagnosed idler pulley bearing. It can easily be mistaken for a noisy PS pump.

Last edited:
I think y'all are missing the point about how I have to be moving in order to hear the noise. And it doesn't do it all the time.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a brake backing plate or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back