Napa Silver 31085 - 4,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Napa Silver filter was in use for 4,000 miles on a friend's Jeep 4.0 engine. I was impressed with how much oil was still left in the filter after draining it out multiple times.

Here are the pics:

photo_1_1.jpg

photo_2_1.jpg

photo_3.jpg

photo_4.jpg

photo_5.jpg

This filter is one of the few that don't cause start-up noise with the 4.0 engines. For under $4 you really can't go wrong.
thumbsup2.gif

Looks good. I've used quite a few ProSelects and MicroGards on vehicles I maintain, which I believe are very similar (if not the same) as these and I never had any issues with them. I've had warped or brittle pleats, but never an actual failure. I'd use them again.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Looks good. I've used quite a few ProSelects and MicroGards on vehicles I maintain, which I believe are very similar (if not the same) as these and I never had any issues with them. I've had warped or brittle pleats, but never an actual failure. I'd use them again.
thumbsup2.gif

My local NAPA claims the NPS and the Silver are the same now. Not sure if that is accurate or not
21.gif

OP: Thanks for the C&P. I like how it looks after 4k. Looks like it could do another 1-1.5k!

@sir1900, I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same. Same innards, different labels on the cans for jobber vs retail markets.

Why have two different low-end filters of the same brand, right?

I am using one now. Engine has no start up noise. A great alternative to Purolator. I was wondering what that green thingy is?

Check for country of origin.I thought the 3rd line Pro Selects were sourced outside of WIX/Affinia...maybe in China.

Yea I used a Napa Silver one time on my Honda . The filter was only like $2.19 and I bought it and changed oil at like 3000 mile or less... and I cut that thing open and it was a TANK.. It was very hard to cut open and I noticed the filter had more threads then most oil filters....

also it was in very good shape....

However I do not think the Napa Silver does as good of a job and filtration as other filters.
However for the price you cant go wrong long as you maintain your engine.

smile.gif

Nice, thanks Jeepman!

Not sure about all the Silvers, but every one I've bought for our Jeep/Chrysler, Ford and Chevy applications say "Made in the USA" on them.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I am using one now. Engine has no start up noise. A great alternative to Purolator. I was wondering what that green thingy is?
The newer versions of the Blitz drain pans have those in the center hole, replacing the older screw-in nylon plugs, so they can seal & not get lost.

Nice review - I just installed the exact same filter on my jeep 4.0L which I plan to run for 3,000 miles using a Frankenbrew containing MMO ... After that I am changing over to a Fram Tough Guard (TG16) mainly due to ease of installation / removal due to grippy end cap and the fact I can run it for 2 ~ 3 OCI's of 3,000 miles each with Pennzoil 10W30 HM .

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: Lubener
The newer versions of the Blitz drain pans have those in the center hole, replacing the older screw-in nylon plugs, so they can seal & not get lost.

Yup, the green plastic thing is a plug from the drain pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back