Funnels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disposable for engine oil filling. I just can't stand how grit inevitably is attracted to a funnel. For other funnels such as tranny ones, I use brake clean to flush them out first.

It's really shameful what does on at work. The place is filthy (wind, dust) and I'm the only on who wipes out funnels before I use them, in a desperate attempt to at least make them somewhat clean.

I have a drain oil funnel sitting on my stack of 5 Gallon buckets, and a fresh fluid filter I spray with brake cleaner before each use. Aside from brake fluid, none of the fluids are so sensitive that residual film is going to cause any issues.

funlb.jpg

I just use the same group of mostly 40-50 year old galvanized that I wipe out -ocasionally flush out with a slosh of gas-don't worry about it too much

Originally Posted By: buck91
you could clean with degreaser or IPA.

Cleaning funnels with beer? That's a new one!
grin.gif

I'm surprised that someone hasn't come out and admitted that they've run their funnels through the dishwasher.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
I keep my oil fill funnel(s) in ziplock bags.

I started doing this with my oil change funnel not too long ago. Two-gallon ziploc bags work quite well for large oil-change funnels.

My 'dirty oil' funnel is never cleaned.

My small fuel additive funnel is rinsed with xylene (then sometimes acetone) before being stored.

Other, less frequently used funnels I simply wipe down and store upside-down on a clean, flat surface. Depending on what I use them for next, I may wipe them down and rinse them off first, or may just use them dirty.

I wipe mine out with a paper towel before using it. It's a radiator funnel, so it has a wide enough opening to fit the paper towel all the way through it. I just store it on the shelf in the garage and stuff a paper towel in it when not in use to help keep some of the debris out. I may try the ziploc bag trick one of these days. The funnel I use for transmission fluid has a long hose connected to it, and a lid on top to keep debris out.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Take an empty oil quart bottle. Cut it in half horizontally and use the top for a funnel. Save the cap. When finished, install the cap and slide the bottom half over the top half to keep it clean. You might have to put a cut in the bottom half to get it to slide back over the top half. Works for me, but then, I'm cheap.

Fantastic idea.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
funlb.jpg

This too!

I have about 10 different funnels of different sizes. The one I use for new oil gets kept in a ziploc and is labelled "new oil filter". No contamination there. The others get cleaned out before I use them with a little gas and a paper towel.

Funny, the bag contains the funnel and you label it "new oil filter"

I never have to clean out my funnels because they are all dedicated for their particular fluids and I keep them stored in plastic bags.

Plastic bags are great for storing all kinds of stuff, wires, cables, papers and documents, and of course food.

I use the same funnel for all oils without wiping them out between uses. Engine Oil/ATF/Tranny Oil/Diffy Oil are all so similar that a tiny bit of residual oil of a different type is not significant. Brake Fluid gets its own funnel and so does Coolant. The coolant funnel will occasionally get used for windshield washer fluid.

Originally Posted By: George7941
Funny, the bag contains the funnel and you label it "new oil filter"

I never have to clean out my funnels because they are all dedicated for their particular fluids and I keep them stored in plastic bags.

I meant "new oil funnel".
frown.gif

Been reading the filter sub-forum too much...

supton said:
Stupid question: clean and reuse, or toss and buy more? What about using with different fluid types?
yes, it is a stupid question -- but really funny.
another-- what if a sign twirler hits a car ?
and the best -- a drumroll here -- merk looked all over the internet, and can't figure out how to use calgon water softener.
wow. I see three of these threads in the same day. I had to post and thank you guys for the great laughs. again, bitog is better than the comedy channel.
have a good evening, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back